Solo Dance

"Mum have you seen my jumper?!" I holler from my bedroom and down the hallway. I dig through the back of the closet, and I can't find anything.

"Here it is love!" She says coming in to my bedroom with the school mandated clothing item. "How are you doing this morning?" She asks causally. I twist my two braids into a bun, and bobby pin them in place.

"Oh I'm fine, I just need this week to go by fast. So that this weekend can be over." Mum gives a sympathetic look, as I continue to shove my school supplies into my nap sack. I pull the jumper over my button up shirt, and shove my leotard into my Nike bag.

   My school is a preforming arts school. I take ballet from 9:00am till 12:00pm. Then in the afternoon I take regular classes in the afternoon. I go home do my homework then I go to dance at my studio and take more dance lessons. I'm a very busy person.

   My phone lights up and my bed and my heart flutters, what if it's Tom? I quickly pick up my phone and it is him! This is the first time he's texted me in a month!

   "Hey Kit, can you ask Harry to check his phone. Thx."

   My heart sinks. It's not the first time Tom has texted something like this. I don't bother to respond, I pick up my bags and walk out of my bedroom with my phone. When I go down the stairs, Harry's sitting at the table eating his breakfast. "Harry check you phone." I say, dumping my stuff once again. Dad hands me a plate with eggs and toast. I kiss his cheek in payment.

   Breakfast is normal, we sit and listen to Patty tell mum all sorts of crazy things. Dad cracks the occasional joke, with a sarcastic comment from Sam every now and then. Glancing at the clock I see it's five after eight. "I've got to go, I don't want to miss the bus." I kiss every member of my family on the cheek, before running out the front door.

•••

   "Mal! I say running across, the school lawn!" The Canadian turns around and faces me with a hug smile on her face. "What are you doing here I though you were homeschooled?!" I ask.

"I am!" She said "but I'm here to shadow a student to day, because Tom really wants me back in a actual school."

Matilda Tara Hiddleston is one of my best friends on the whole entire planet. She was adopted by Tom Hiddleston, we meet at dance. She's in the intermediate class with Mrs. Raine and I'm in Jr. with Ms. Roads. We have a duet together this year. "That's awesome! What class are you in this morning?" I ask curiously, adjusting the strap of my bag. She looks down at the piece of paper in her hand.

"Ballet with, um Mme, Eliane. Studio C4." She says, she looks up at me. "Are you in that class?" I shake my head no,

"But lucky for you. I'm in the studio right next door C2. So I can show you to the change room."

•••

"And one, and two, and three, and four, five and six! No No stop the music!" Monsieur Morni (say it like this more-ange). "Hannah we've been over this seventy times love!" He says in a heavy French accent. "Kit please come and show her." I quickly run to the corner and as Monsieur Morni count the pianist in.

I graceful and humbly, show Hannah the latter again. "Absolument magnifique!" He screams in French, and I instantly feel bad. Hannah joined the class later in the year, and she has worked really hard to catch up. I know what it's like to be called out in the middle of class.

After ballet class, the day went by quickly. By the time I got home I got ready to go to the studio. The first portion of the night was spent practicing group routines for the competition this weekend. Then solo practice, I have a contemporary solo. I'm dancing to fragile, it's an emotional piece.

   "Kit here's your costume," Ms. Road says hading me an oversized t-shirt "I want you hair down." She looks out the door. "Matilda can you come in here for a second!" Mal comes bouncing in, "Good I want to run your duet please."

   Mal and I run to our starting poses. We're dancing a modern piece to Glitter and Gold. It's different. "Are you warm?" I ask Mal getting in my starting pose, she shrugs her shoulders "more or less."

   Here's the thing about dance. I believe that there are three types of categories that the dance can fit into. Pretty, playful and power full. Pretty can be powerful, and powerful can be pretty. Playful, well that's just it's own category.

   By the end of the day, I'm absolutely exhausted. I go home take a shower and fall right into bed. I'm nearly asleep when I see my phone light up with a text. I pick it up from my night table, it's Tom! What could he want?

"Hey Kit, I'm sorry I can't be there for dance competition. Good luck, love you."