Galway Girl

"Tessa come ere' girl!" I say patting my legs. Tessa is Toms dog, but when he's not here she's my best friend. Tessa is a blue Staffy, in retrospect a pit bull. Pit bulls are considered dangerous dogs, and you're not supposed to have them in England. Tessa is the complete opposite of dangerous, she's the sweetest. When's she's sick, she will lie next to you and if you're sad she licks your face until you cheer up, she's the best.

   Except for when your chasing her.

   "TESSA come back!" I say chasing her down the path, people stare as I run past but I have to catch her. Someone up ahead catches her lead and bends down to her. "Tessa!" I call out again, the person looks up. I jog over to where they are,

   "Thank you so much for catching her," I say pushing my glasses up on my nose. "She can be a bit of a handful."

   "It's not a problem." He says standing up and adjusting the bag on his shoulder, "she's cute. The pup, not you! But you're cute too, I'm not being creepy. It's just sorry-" he says blushing,

   "It's okay," I respond Tessa whines at my feet. "This is Tessa, and my name's Katie, but everyone calls me Kit."

   "Peter." He sticks out his hand, for me to shake. "Nice to meet you."

   "Likewise, we should probably get going. See you." I say turning around and walking Tessa back down the way I chased her. "Hey wait up a second!" Peter calls, he jogs up to where we are and walks alongside us.

   "Do you live around here?" Peter asks running his hand through his hair. I shrug,

   "Kind of, what about you?" He shakes his head, and his brown hair swishes back and forth. "Just here visiting my dad for the weekend. I live in Galway," - that would explain the accent "with my mum and two sisters." I sigh,

   "Sisters that sounds nice. I have four brothers," Peter lets out an exasperated huff.

   "I'll trade. All my sisters want to do is ride the horses we have on our farm, blast their music music and play dolls." I laugh, the yellow and red autumn leaves fall around us as we walk down the park path. From my pocket my phone buzzes I take it out of my pocket to see who it is, it's just a notification. The time reads, 3:48 I have till five.

   "Well since you're visiting let me give you the unofficial tour. If you're up for it."

   "That sounds nice." He replies with a smile, I smile back. Tessa rugs on her leash, and whines. "Oh yes I know girl, let's go see Quinn I'm sure she has something for you." We walk till we reach my favourite local cafe. It's right on the edge of the water, when you step inside it's like a whole other world.

   It smells like home, no matter where you come from. The warm and cozy interior is filled with vintage vinyl, old books and Quinn's constant chatter. The chairs are all different, some metal and rusted others plush and soft. The warm air leaves a tingle on you're skin, making you shiver. It always smells like cinnamon coffee with a hint sugar and Christmas. It's the best place, and of course it's dog friendly.

   "This is it." I say walking up to the door, Peter follows closely behind. I go to open the door but his arm reaches and opens the door for me. "Thanks."

    "Oh wow." Peter exclaims as he steps inside Quinn's cafe. I giggle, and wave to Quinn who works behind the counter. I choose a table in the front corner, it's next to the windows. "It smells like home, is that weird?" Asks Peter

   "Not at all. It's supposed to be a home away from home. Quinn knows everyone who comes in here. Speaking of which." Quinn bounces over to the table, her red curls moving with her every move. Tessa's tail start wagging as she approaches.

   "Hey Quinn, oh Tess stop pulling." I command, Tessa sits down and Quinn bends down to pet her. She scratches behind her ears and feeds her a biscuit.

   "Kit are you going to introduce me to you're friend?" She asks standing up and brushing off her hands on her apron. She smiles widely at Peter showing of her metal braces.

   "Quinn this is Peter, Peter this is Quinn." They shake hands, "you're usual?" Quinn asks I nod "and what about you good sir?"

   "What ever she is having." Peter responds, "coming right up." I wrap Tessa's lead around the post of the table.

   "Come with me." I say to Peter, we stand up and walk towards the record player sitting in the back corner. Peter immediately picks up the Ed Sheeran record. "My sisters play this all the time at home. Got to admit, the blokes not bad." I take it from his hands and set it up, the first song that starts is Castle on this Hill. One of my personal favourites.

Peter flips through the Vinyl and I watch Quinn set the drinks down on the table. "Hey I see our drinks, let's go before they get cold." Quinn has set down two large round mugs filled to the top with frothy foam. There's also a dish with apple crumble, and only two spoons. I look over to the counter and make a face at Quinn.

"What's in the mug?" Peter asks sliding his cup closer to him.

"It's steamed almond milk with a little bit of Vanilla. It's good, trust me. This is crumble, it's got caramel on it."

"Looks like you're friend forgot to bring an extra plate." Peter raises the mug to his, perfect pink lips and takes a small sip. "Wow, that is really good. How old are you Kit?"

"I'm 14, I turn 15 on May 5. So two sisters what's that like?" I ask dreamily. I take a sip of my drink and listen to Peter explain, "it's loud but I love them. Their names are Bridget and Eve. Eve is older and Bridget is the baby. So tell me brothers." I tell him about he twins and Patty, but I leave out the part about Tom being famous. Peter and I spend the rest of the afternoon talking, it's nice talking to a boy who isn't my brother.

As the day comes to an end I'm sad, I'd to get to know Peter better. "Kit would it be alright if I asked for you're phone number?"

Maybe this wouldn't be the last I see of Peter from Galway.