We're Going Home

London, England

April, 2020

   "Off to Tesco, I'll be back in a bit." Mum called through the door, closing it on her way out. I waved as she shut the door, careful not to disturb Tess who was sleeping behind my knees. Lockdown is well underway and I haven't seen the inside of a commercial shop in two months, but it's for the best. I don't want to risk catching something, and I have a bruise that extends from just above the peak of my eye brown to the bottom of my cheek bone. And it's not something I feel like explaining to a million people.

   "'My god," I exclaim wide eyed into the bathroom mirror. Last night I ran into a door frame and I knew I'd be bruised but I didn't think I'd be this bruised. This beast of a bruise is a combination of purples, greens and yellows. A hint of black framing the edge of my eye like bad eyeliner. Really bad eyeliner. I am not going to be able to live this down.

I make my way down stairs, and over to the kitchen counter, "morning Kit!" Dad exclaims briefly tuning to face me, but when he realized and turned back to look a second time his eyes bugged out of his head. "My god! We're you trying to concuss yourself!"

   "No, I just missed the door." I defend,

   "At what! The speed of light!" Tom had walked into the room and I ducked my head "superstar you sister is not a stuntwoman." Dad crosses his arms scowling at Tom,

   "What do you- Kit my god! I'm so so sorry," because Tom was apologizing profusely and defending himself to dad I managed to slip out from between the two and get myself some juice. Taking my seat at the table I watched dad wag the spatula in Tom's face, and Tess jump in the middle of them because she though they were playing.

   But that had to be at least two weeks ago, time passes a little slower now that I don't ever leave the house. My phone buzzed with a text from Matilda, she has a treatment today that requires her to actually go into the hospital. She's a bit nervous that she might catch something, her immune system still isn't great. Our plan is to still watch a movie together we're just trying to pick one. We've narrowed it down to Mary Poppins, Grease or Mamma Mia. Musicals are our go to genre, so far, they are the only genre that don't make her cry. And the treatments make her extra emotional. I texted her back, placing my vote for Mamma Mia and then I put my phone down and sauntered into the kitchen. I took an orange out of the bowl and broke the skin with my thumb. Popping a piece in my mouth I skimmed the front of the paper. It's nothing good: rising case numbers, more deaths, people losing jobs, blah blah. It's awful, I toss out my peel and head upstairs to get ready for my ballet class.

   One of the nice things about being at home is that the dress code was relaxed. You still have to wear a bodysuit, but it can be whatever colour you want. I settled on my sky blue capped sleeve suit with a white velvet skirt, and a low bun. I got the office all set up, with my computer on its charger, canvas and pointe shoes and my water bottle. Everyone's routines have become pretty consistent in lockdown; wake up, eat, school, activity, eat, sleep and repeat. So as I move my body through my hour and a half ballet class I try to feel the movements and not just do them. However, eighty percent of today's class was Monsieur Morni fighting with his computer, as he mutters angry words in French, Casey texted in our group chat,

He's going to break the bloody thing if he isn't careful. I giggled, a moment later Matilda responded not going well? They chat back and fourth until finally Monsieur throws up his hands and ends the class half an hour early, but I'm not quite ready to be done dancing yet. I work a bit on my Gisselle variation until my feet go numb and then I stretch and roll out my muscles. With my computer in hand I climb up the stairs and change for my call with Matilda. I slid on a pair of joggers and one of the boys -I don't know which- old Rolling Stones T-shirt. I let my hair out of the bun and then gathered the top layer up with a clip, then to finish of my look I slid on my glasses. Unlike Tom who wears glasses for fashion, I actually need them. 

   I settle down in my bed under a blanket, normally I use my weighted one but I lent it to Matilda when we got home from Canada,

   "Thomas," my mum greeted giving Mr. H a hug "how's Matilda?" His blue eyes looked tired and his light ginger hair was limp from the rain.

    "She's pushing through, she's determined but I feel like stubborn is the better word for it. She just won't let herself get sick." He chuckled quietly, "you can go in Kit. She'll be excited to see you."

   "Thanks Mr. H," Matilda's room is small, just her bed, an adjoining bathroom and a chair. Mal is gazing out her windows that over looks the parkade, it's nothing special. But that doesn't stop me from asking,

   "See anything special?" I set my bag down and sit on the bed next to her, she shrugs

   "Just people, what's in the bag?" She asks, peering over the side, I reach down and pull out my weighted blanket.

   "I know you get over whelmed and I read that these kinds of blankets can help. So here-" I say extending it towards her "borrow it for as long as you need."

   She pulls me in for a soft hug "thanks Kit."  I squeeze her gently then pull back,

   "Your welcome, now where's Andy? He still has my sparkle gel pen."

   My phone chimes with Matilda's ring tone, and when I accept the call here face appears on the other side of the screen. It's still odd to see, but she's wearing a handmade mask one her aunt Sarah made.

"Hi Kit," she says waving her arms already connected to a dozen tubes "like my tubes?"

"Their fabulous! So what are we watching?" A nurse walks behind her and adjusts one of the monitors and I hear Mal say her thanks. The nurses are covered from head to toe in protective gear you can only barley see their eyes.

"I was thinking Mamma Mia, unless you wanted to watch a different one?"

I shake my head, "Mamma Mia is good." With a nod Mal starts up the movie. I pull the blanket up to my chin and rest my computer on my chest and together, in the weirdest situation ever, we watch a movie.