Canadain Girls

"Tom! Tom! Take my picture!" I squeal posing on the bridge. Vancouver is beautiful, it's a completely modern city, that borders a west coast. Where ever you go here, you can smell the ocean. Even tho it's mid August it's cooler here, I needed a jumper today. Tom snaps my picture and we keep walking down the pier.

   "So what were you thinking for dinner?" Tom asks, as we head off the board walk.

    "I don't really have a preference, what ever you want." I say, snapping a few more pictures with my phone. Tom quickly searches something up, and then we call a car. As we drive through Vancouver's downtown, and then out of tall buildings. We stop outside of a small restaurant, it sits right on the water front, but this water front is different from the LA water front. It's cold, cool and calm, the waves gracefully crash into rocks, and the beach that is more rock than sand. Rain clouds move in and the fog sets heavy.

Tom and I sit down at a table, next to the open window, it's colder here it reminds me of home. "What are you going to order?" Tom asks, flipping his menu over in his hand.

"Mal said to try Poutine-"

"No, I said try the Poutine when you go to Montreal. And if you order it in Montreal, it's pronounced Pootin."

Mal and her dad, walk up to the table. Matilda wearing, and toque, jumper, trainers and jeans. Tom and I stand up to greet them both, Mr. H gives me a small peck on the cheek, and I hug Matilda carefully. She's getting stronger, buts she's not 100% yet.

   The four of us sit for dinner, Mal answers all of my questions about her life here, what school was like, where she lived and trained for dance.

"Okay so what's your alternative motive?" I ask taking a bite of the burger Mal ordered for me, "and oh my god this is amazing!"

"Yes I know the burger is good, Canadian food is the best." The three of them laugh and Tom hands me a napkin, I wipe the corners of my mouth. "So, we're actually going to be with you guys for the rest of your Canadian endeavours." She says,

"Are you sure!" I squeal, Mal looks to her dad then back to me "I'm pretty sure ya." She says smiling, this smile is the first real Matilda smile I've seen in months. We finish dinner and share a cab back to the hotel, turns out we are all in the same hotel. In the morning we fly to Ottawa, Canada's capital.

Back at the hotel, I'm laying on my bed reading a book, and Tom is down in the gym. The knock on the door startles me, who could it be? It's 9:30, and roll off of the bed and make my way to the door. It's Matilda,

   "Come with me," she orders. I look back into the room and go to speak before but she cuts me off "relax, both of the Toms' know. Grab a sweater it's cool out." I do as she asks, then follow her to the lobby and out onto the streets. It's been raining, it's a sweet smelling rain. Mal stops, tilting her head up to the sky and lets the rain fall on her face.

   "Oh I've missed being here." She whispers softly, "okay come on." She leads me down the street,

   "Where are we going?" I question, trying to keep pace with her. She turns a looks at me, her lips curl into a smirk

   "You are in Canada. You will try the most Canadian thing that exists." She's stoped outside of a restaurant,

   "Tim Hortons?"

   "Your going to love it! Come on."

•••

15 minuets, or so, later I'm sitting in a plastic booth across from Mal. Sipping hot chocolate, and eating doughnut holes. But they aren't called that here, they are called Timbits. Note to self; you get weird looks if you call them anything else.

"So, are you liking it here so far?" Mal asks, ripping the doughnut - Timbit in half and popping a piece in her mouth.

   "It's beautiful, but I feel so out of place with my accent." I say, Matilda tilts her head and smiles.

   "How do you think I feel at school?" She responds sipping her drink. "I feel like everyone is waiting for me to say 'Eh' and start talking about beavers or something."

   "Well to be fair," I interrupt "we were waiting for you to say 'Eh' at the beginning." Mal roles her eyes, "but then we moved on."

Giggling I look out the window and smile, "you miss living here don't you?"

"Everyday, London has become my home but I belong here. A while ago Dad wanted me to apply for a UK citizenship, I won't. Eventually I might apply for a dual citizen ship, but I always want my Nationality to be Canadian."

This makes me a little sad I'm not going to lie. I want Mal to be happy where she lives, I don't want her to feel unwanted in our country ever. I check the time on my phone, "we better get back to the hotel, it getting late."

   "Sure thing, we leave early tomorrow." We wall back to the hotel in near silence, riding the elevator up to our floor in silence. "Night Kit," Mal says as I step out of the lift. I swipe the key card in the door, and it pops open.

   "Tom I'm back," I say kicking off my shoes. "Tom? Where'd you go-"

   "Kit, kill it please." Tom begs, my 23 year old brother is standing on my bed acting as if there's a demon on the floor.

   "What, What are you-" I look to what he's pointing at "oh. My. God." On the foot of my bed is the worlds tiniest spider. The Spider-Man is afraid of spiders. Taking the hotel brochure off of the desk, I scoop up the spider and set him out in the hall. "There you go little guy, crawl away."

   "Is it gone?" Tom asks worriedly, I turn around on my heel and smile,

   "Yes it's gone you big baby. I'm taking a shower then going to bed, and when I get out you had better be off mine."

"Yeah yeah, night Kit."

"Good night," I say over my shoulder and I head to the shower.

A/n

Had a bad day, gonna go watch some friends to make it all better.