Summer of '69

Do you know that feeling that you get on the last day of school, where you're happy that it's done but your sad at the same time. Today I have the exact feeling. Anna, Casey and I stand on the quad talking with Monsieur Morin.

   "You girlz have a good summer yez. I will see you next year." We all give him a quick hug, and hop onto the bus. We ride it all the way to a little ice cream shop, and get 4 ice creams in to go cups. Then as fast as we can, we head towards the hospital to see Matilda.

   Now technically your not supposed to bring outside food into the hospital, but we hid it in my back pack and snuck it in. We made our way up to Matilda's room, and when we walked in she was wearing a white T-shirt and soft pink shorts, sitting in her bed reading a book.

   "Ah! You guys made it!" She cheers, she sits up careful not to jerk her IV. We pull ice cream, out of my back pack, but it's melted a little.

"Oh no! It melted." Anna whines, Matilda winks. She reaches up and pushes her call button, a minute later Andy appears.

"What's wrong Mal- ohhh I see trouble has come to town."
"Andy our start of summer ice cream melted." Matilda pulls out her best British accent "could you be a dear and steal- I mean borrow us some cooling blankets." She bats her eyes and sticks out her lower lip. Andy rolls his eyes, and walk out of the room. He comes back a minuet later with two cooling blankets.
"Here there as cold as they'll go, warp the cups in the blankets and leave them for 10 minuets. That should un- melt them."
"Thanks Andy your the best." Matilda fist bumps him,
"I'm going to lose my job because of you four." He leaves the room, and we laugh a giggle for a little while.

When the ice cream hardened up again, we give Matilda her's and all listen to the radio as we eat.
"So Kit," Casey starts "hows hypoglycaemia treating you?"

A week or so ago my blood work came back and we found out that I have hypoglycaemia. Low blood sugar caused by not eating, and it made a lot of sense. When I had fainted at school I hadn't eaten that day, and I was very over worked and tired.

I shrug "it's fine I guess. Just happy to know that the fainting can be prevented." I shove another bite of ice cream into my mouth.
"So does anyone have any exciting summer plans!" Matilda asks,
"My family's going to my grandparents in whales for a few weeks" Casey says.
"To France for a month." Anna's family is from France. And ever summer they go back,
"Excité pour voir votre famille?" Anna nods, Matilda speaks Canadian French. So Anna has been helping her with her accent. "Kit what are your summer plans?" Anna asks
"I'm spending it in LA with Tom, mum thinks in need yo be somewhere to de-stress
for a while." Matilda sets down her now empty ice cream cup,
"So guess what! The doctor approved my trip!"
"What trip?" We all ask together, "did I forget to tell you? Tom is taking me to Italy this summer, then back to Vancouver for a while!"

We all talk for hours and hours, until Andy comes to kick us out. "Matilda your dad should be here soon, so make it seem like you've been resting." We all hug Matilda good buy, and promise to meet up again at the end of the summer. I take the bus home, with ear buds in my ears, I walk down the quite street and up to the house. I un lock the front door, and see mum and dad sitting the couch watch s movie with Patty.
"Hey honey, how was Matilda?" Dad asks, he stands up empty popcorn bowl in hand.
"She was good, she's doing a lot better." I'm going to go and pack! I'm so exited!"
"Hey just make sure you follow my list okay!" Mom hollers at me as I run up the stairs. I respond, "don't worry I will!"

Upstairs in my bedroom, I open my suit case and pack the stuff according to mum's list. Shorts, shirts, dress, female items and a bunch more. I leave out my travel clothes, and tidy my room. I take a shower and comb out my hair. I blow dry my hair straight, and then go downstairs to hang out with my parents and Patty.
"So we have a couple hours till we have to leave for the airport. You should maybe try to get some sleep Kit."
"What time does the flight leave at?" I ask stretching out on the couch,
"11pm, so four-ish hours till we need to leave."
"But I'm too excited to sleep!" Patty chimes in, "We could play a card game!"

Until it's time for me to go to the airport we played cards. And when I say cards, I mean go fish. I spend the night just hanging out with my family, and we talk until it's time for me to fly the red eye.