Warrior

The news of Matilda's sickness was a shock. she took the news better than I did. But we needed to keep it hidden. Only the people who needed to know, knew. I went about my weeks normally. School and dance during the weeks. The on the weekends I would take Matilda her homework, and I would hang out with her. This weekend was going to be particularly hard, she was having her port put in.

   I was at the hospital early, the sun wasn't even awake. But Matilda was, standing at the end of her bend doing Pliè's. Wearing her forest green yoga pants and a black sports bra.

   "You crazy, get back in bed." She shakes her head and continues. "I can't, I've fallen to far behind already."

   "But Mal-" she cuts me off, with the most 'Matilda' look I have ever seen. "If you, or one more person, tells me not to do something because I'm sick. I'm going to throw the IV machine out of the window." I put my hands up in defence,

   "What ever you say." I survey the room, "did your dad go home?" She nods

   "Grandma D and my Aunties, drug him out by his ear and made him go home for a few nights." She sighs "I love him I do, but he was kind of smothering me."

   "Dads do that. I brought your home work, but I'm sure you could get away with not doing it."

   She slides her hoodie on, and sits down on her hospital bed. "No I'll do it now, I'm not going to be able to function after they put my port in." I hand her her math work and she pulls out her calculator. We both do homework, for about an hour and a half. Our work spread about the room, when Matilda's nurse, Andy, comes in to check up on her. He blinks,

   "Kit, promise me your not over working Tilly." He asks, I look up from my work. Pushing my glasses up on my nose I answer, "she wanted to, not me."

Andy looks at Matilda and points to the bathroom "change, please." She rolls her eyes, and mutters something in French. As she walks to the bathroom. I look at Andy and he just smiles. "So how are you doing?" He asks, checking something on the chart. I sit quietly as I recall the events from the last week.

"Kit come on you need to eat." Sam insists, he sits next to me on my bed. I've been lying on my side for the last two days. I haven't gone to the washroom for one. "Kit please," he begs "your scaring us. What can I do to make this better."

I turn my head, the tears have made my wet hair stick to my face. "I want all of you here. With me." Sam pulls the hair off my face and sticks it behind my ear. "Okay."

I laid on my bed for hours, my family came in and out with food but I never touched it. One day my mum helped my to the loo. She washed my hair and my face. My teeth as well. She puts me back in bed with Fresh Pjs and a braid in my hair. I lay still for ever, the sun has gone to sleep. And so has the rest of my house. Until my bedroom door opened, I didn't bother to look up. Someone bent down in front of my face, it was Tom.

"Tom," I tried to move, but my body had forgotten how. He puts his arm under me and lifted my into his lap. He cradled me, then the rest of my brothers came in. They all wrapped their arms around me, while I cried. I cried until I couldn't cry anymore, when I woke up the next morning, they were all still there. And that morning I found the courage to move.

"Kit? Are you okay?" Andy asked again looking at me with a tilted head. I shake my head, and smile. "Yeah, I'm okay." Matilda came out of the bathroom. Her hair in a milk maid braid, and her hospital gown on. "Ooh, dressed to impress!" Andy taunts, Matilda rolls her eyes and sits down on the bed. Andy does the check up.

"So I overheard," Andy starts "the wish people, they want to give you a wish."

"Hey that's cool!" I say, Mr. H walks in the room. Looking less like a disaster, and more like himself.

"What's cool?" He asks, he goes over and kisses Matilda on the cheek. Matilda answers quietly "It's nothing, doesn't matter."

"Okay Tilly, everything looks good. Mr. Hiddleston, can I see you in the hallway please." Andy asks, Mr.H follows him out.

"What was that Mal?" I ask, I go over and sit next to her on the bed. He plays with her gown before answering.

"I just, I don't know, since we found out. Tom he- just keeps looking at me like I'm a baby bird and I can't do anything for myself."

"Mal he's just scared, I'm scared, hell everyone is scared."

"I know I just cause constant problems-" she sighs,

"Ever say that again and I'll throw you, out the window. Because everyone loves you, and wants you to be healthy again." She rests her head on my shoulder,

"Hey want to watch a movie?" She asks, I nod "which one?"

"Bohemian Rhapsody. I downloaded it last night." We lay on her bed, watching it on her computer. It's a good movie, it's about the band Queen and it's lead singer Freddie Mercury.

"Would it be crazy-" Matilda begins "for my wish to be, meeting the cast of this movie, but they were dressed as the band?"

Matilda has always been a fan of 80's music, she was influenced by her birth dad. She's always told me that queen, is one of her favourites.

"It's your wish Mal, and I think it's excellent." The medical team comes in, ready to take Matilda to the prep room.

"I'll see you when you wake up." I say, she smiles as we do our hand shake.

"Better be Brit."

"I will be Canadian, break a leg."

After Matilda's gone, I call my Tom to talk. Just to take my mind off of Matilda. I tell him about her wish, he thinks it's awesome. When we're done, I fall asleep in the chair that's next to the window. Softly, I sleep dreamlessly.