It's Been a Long Time

So it's Kit, it's been a long time, and I feel like I should fill you in on what you missed.

   You haven't heard from me in a while, last time you did I was in Canada but I'm home now and boy how things have changed. When I stopped writing it was because things got hectic, Matilda hit a serious decline in her cancer and spent 4 months in and out of the ICU. It sent us home pretty suddenly.

Ottawa, Ontario

"Bugger why! Why is he - watch the road you bleeding idiot" Mr. H screamed out the window, he's a fabulous driver don't get me wrong but in Canada people drive on the right side of the road and the drivers sit on the left side of the car. Needless to say he's a tad stressed, I leaned over and poked Matilda in the ribs.

"He looks like he's going to have a meltdown, is he going to be okay?" I ask, she's placed her sticky-note in her book and turned to face me. She had thin line of sweat coating her upper lip and looked pale, "oh whoa are you okay?" I ask, she just shakes her head.

"Just a little motion sickness is all, I should probably stop reading." I perch my eyebrows, yes she doesn't look the best with the thin wiry hair that used to be thick and lush, and her ivory skin now tinted with yellow. This time she looks on the verge of vomiting or fainting, or both. "I'm just going to try to sleep," she says pulling her beanie over her eyes "night Kit."

I don't like that, I don't like it at all but I let her sleep. A few hours later when we stop for a pee break, I lean over to shake Mal awake. "Sleepy time to wake up," I say in my best song-songy voice, but she doesn't stir. Lifting up the corner of her beanie "Mal?" She's gone ghostly white and is burning to the touch. Sweat now dripped of her body. I shake her by the shoulder "Matilda can you hear me?!" But she won't wake up.

"Tom! Mr. H!" I scream from the car, "Matilda won't wake up!" The next eight hours passed in a blur. We rushed to an urgent care facility, where Matilda was airlifted to a bigger hospital in Toronto. Tom and I got a hotel and waited for news, it was the longest eight hours of my life. Waiting and not knowing. Her numbers and decreased drastically, she's was in kidney failure. She needed to go back into treatment. We headed home shortly after that.

But that wasn't the worst thing that happened, out of the blue at the very begging of the year a virus began to spread, dominating countries; the novel Coronavirus.

It shut down countries, economies and our lives. We were all sent to lockdown, no leaving the home except for essential shopping, no more school, dance, nothing. Our lives screeched to a stop. On the bright side it did bring Tom home. I moved to dancing in the office, and schooling online. I baked, and took photos watched movies with mum and dad but I couldn't see anyone. Not even Mal. We faced timed everyday and each time she had an at home treatment we watched movies over zoom. I wanna fill you in on all of it, but that might take a while so I'm going to try to do it in a few parts catching you up on everything until now. The good and the not so good.

So you'll have to stay with me, and I might bugger this up but you deserve to know. Oh and I'm going to keep telling it from my eyes I won't interrupt anymore. You've heard all the different stories from this year, but this is mine.