Golden

London, England

March, 2020

"Move kit!"

"I was hear first!" I hip chucked Paddy out of the way and set up my computer for zoom ballet.

"Mum! Kit won't share the office!" He screamed down the hallway,

"Bugger off I need more space" I argue, we've been at home for three weeks now and we have only seen each other. Yup twenty one days of only my brothers, it been brutal. "Patrick! Out now!" Mum says appearing like a phantom in the door way, "language Kit."  As Mum drags Paddy out of the office I hear him whine.

I love our home, it holds so many memories of me and my brothers but when we're all working, schooling and training in our respective sports it's a tad small. Mum and dad have taken over the kitchen table for work, our bedrooms are for school and the office has been cleared out to make room for my dancing, and whatever Paddy thinks he needs it for. The modified dance schedules don't change how intense the classes are, I still come out dripping in sweat every time.

After the hour and a half is up, I sign off for the night. One of our newest rules is all computers are left in the hallway drawer once out activities are over. So that we don't burn out eyeballs out of our head, and so we can spend some family time together. I send Peter a goodnight text, and hop into the shower.

After I've lathered, rinsed and repeated twice. I change into some comfy clothes and head downstairs to the couch. "So what's the activity for tonight?" I ask, taking an orange out of the bowl and breaking its skin with my thumb.

"Tom needs help reading through his script, so I suppose you could call it family dramatics." Mum says with a smile, we chat for a few minuets waiting for everyone else to join us in the living room. Once we're all gathered Tom reads through his script, we give loving but honest critiques,

"So um, this is one of the more intense scenes of the film but I need someone to read it back," he says rubbing the back of his neck.

"I'll read it with you Tom," I offer prying my self from out between the cushions. I had wedged myself in between Mum and Sam.

"But the thing is it's and intense thing between a man and his girlfriend. And I love you, but your my sister and I don't think I could do it-"

"Well boo-" I pout. But then mom interrupts, "Kit what about the mask from your one dance, ah what was it? The one about shadows or death."

"The one you didn't like?" I tease pitching my eyebrow like a tent pole. "Would that work Tom? It quite literally covers my whole face; eyes, mouth everything."

"Sounds creepy, but it'll work." I jump up off the couch in a flourish, "back in a second I say." I storm up the stairs to my bedroom and throw open my dance trunk. I dig through piles of tule and sequins finally pulling out the mask. It covers my full face leaving only small slits in between my lips and the two nostrils. We glued black mesh to the eyes, it's the worst thing to dance in but it is fabulous for 'sister hiding.'

I run back downstairs with the mask in had, "okay I got it." I run back to the couch, this time I sit across from Tom. "What are my lines?"

"Just one," he says handing me his phone. He's typed it out in his notes. "You read it then I start my part." I roll my eyes,

"You couldn't see my face for one line?" Tom's shakes his head. "But what if? That's dramatic, so you're part better be good." I lift my mask to my face, "ready?" I ask, and Tom nods I skip the mask over my face and it must look spooky because Tom's eyes widened.