A Merry little Christmas

(Time jump, to December)

   It's Christmas Eve! One of my favourite times of the year. The lights, on the tree. The smells of Mum and dad cooking. It's full, everyone's home.

   I sit on the living room floor, playing with Tessa under the light of the Christmas tree. Tom comes down the stairs holding my guitar, His cheeks still chubby from his wisdom teeth removal.

   "How about a little bit of Christmas music Katie?" He asks holding it out to me. I smile and take it from him, I start slowly picking away at the strings. And Tom plops down on the couch, and rests next to Tessa.

   "Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Let your heart be light
From now on your troubles will be out of sight
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Make the Yuletide gay
From now on your troubles will be miles away
Here we are as in olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who are dear to us
TGather near to us once more
Through the years we all will be together
If the fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest place
So have yourself a merry little Christmas
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
So have yourself a merry little Christmas"

   After I finish my song, we all gather around the table to eat Christmas dinner. As we finish dinner, and the plates are cleared from the table. We all gather around the TV, to watch a Christmas movie. After the movie ends we hang out Christmas socks up on the mantle, and we all go to bed. Excited for the morning to come.

•••

   I woke up this morning to Patty shaking my legs.
   "Kit! Wake up! Wake up!" He cheers "it's Christmas!" He runs down the hall whooping and cheering, I drag myself out of bed and wrap a knit cardigan around myself.

   The living room is dark, only the Christmas lights to illuminate it. The Christmas gifts sit wrapped under the tree patently, while out gifts from Santa are neatly placed under our stockings.

   "Go look!" I tell Patty "I'm going to start coffee for everyone." Patty runs over to the tree and starts digging through his Christmas sock. I start coffee, for everyone, knowing that they won't be fully awake.

   I hear mum and dad in the living room with Patty, I set five mugs on a carrying tray and fill them with coffee. Leaving them all black, but taking sugar and cream on the side. Tessa comes barking down the stairs, signalling that Tom is awake. Tessa eagerly licks my leg and barks,

   "Good morning Tess, hush now." I carry the coffee to the living room where everyone is watching patty play with his new toy.

   "Happy Christmas Kit!" Dad says kissing me on the forehead. "Have you opened you sock yet?"

   I shake my head no "not yet. I was waiting for everyone else." The twins come into the room, stretching their arms and rubbing their eyes.

    "Well now is your chance." Dad insists. I go over to my Christmas sock, and dig through it. It's has a new set of pro pads, Christmas oranges and a gift card. And my present from Santa is a beautiful, champagne gold camera. We spend the morning opening the rest of the gifts. It's a quiet family day, nothing much happens.

   As the day comes to a close, I'm laying on the couch fiddling with my guitar. While Tessa squeaks her new toy at my feet.  An idea pops into my head.

   "Hey everyone come in here!" I say leaning over the back of the couch. I grab my camera from where it sits on the coffee table. Everyone slowly trickles in, "stand in front of the tree, I want to take a picture." They all smush together,

   "On the count of three, say merry Christmas. Okay ready, one, two, three!"

   "Merry Christmas!"

A/N

   Merry Christmas all, From me too you!

Xx