×thirteen×

carson's pov

I grab my lunch tray and duck away from the crowded lunchroom center to a far corner, where I always sit with my friends.

"How's life treating you, Carse?" Jayden asks as I sit down. She and her friend Bry have started to sit with us at lunch. I kinda like it.

"Umm..." I start to say, before I'm interrupted by a girl coming over and tapping me on the shoulder.

"Hiiii, sorry to bother you all, but have you gotten asked to the dance yet?" The girl asks me. "I'm Lina by the way."

"Uhh...yeah." I try to not look annoyed.

"Do you want to come with me?"

Taking another look at her, I decide she doesn't look too bad. She's kind of cute. But....

"I...um, I have a date already...I mean, I will...buuuut thanks for the offer."

Lina grins. "Yeah, that's ok. I get it. Whoever goes with you will be a lucky girl." Then she turns to Hayden. "What about you? Do you have a date yet?"

I almost laugh out loud. Across the table, Bry covers her mouth to stifle a giggle and lowers her head, her hair covering her face.

"Not yet. I'll tell you if I need one," Hayden replies politely.

"Do you want my number?" Her face brightens.

"Um, no, I'll just find you."

The girl bites her lip. "That's okay. Connor? Do you have a date?"

Bry chokes on her water and excuses herself to the bathroom.

"Same as Hayden." Connor replies politely, and the girl, disappointed, tells us how much she loves us and walks away.

Jayden grins. "Um, well, Connor, I wanna make sure that no one takes you before I get to you, so do you want to go to the dance with me?"

Connor blushes. They're so adorable.

"Of course, Jay." He gets up and Jayden does too, and they hug each other. I catch the last part of their hug on video.

"That was so unexciting, Jayden," I tease, "And I barely got that on video."

"So? All that matters is that I'm going with Connor." Jayden grins and hugs Connor tighter.

"Bruh, can y'all date already??" Hayden aims his phone at them.

Jayden jumps off of Connor. "No! We're just best friends."

Bry comes back and sits down, sweeping her blonde hair behind her ears and eyeing Cayden. "What happened since I left?"

"Jayden asked Connor to the dance but she says they're just fRiEnDs." I roll my eyes and gesture towards the couple.

Bry rolls her eyes too and we high five each other. "They think they can trick us into thinking that."

"What do you mean??" Jayden exclaims in protest.

We just laugh.

"Fine," she shoots back, "Who are you going to the dance with? You don't even have friends."

"I have friends!" I motion to the group at our table. "Connor, Hayden-"

"I'm not talking about boys, dumbo."

"Fine. Saryna,-"

"She already has a date."

I huff. "C'monnnnn." Then I motion next to me. "I'm friends with Bry, too."

"Well, are you going with her?" Jayden grins devilishly.

I blink. Everyone at the table laughs at me. "Hey, that's not up to me."

Bry sits down at the table again, blushing.

"Would you rather go with a fan? Or with a friend?" Jayden continues.

I shake my head at her, feeling bad for Bry. She's probably feeling super awkward right now. "I think it's obvious, Jay."

brynn's pov

Math class is boring. I like math, but our teacher is so boring, and I already know half the things he's teaching.

I glance behind me. Carson is sitting there, two rows behind me, looking confused. I smile, knowing he's not the brightest at math. He's told me that before.

Jayden was teasing me earlier about asking him to the dance...in front of him. It was super awkward. I want to ask him, and he basically said in the conversation that he would, but still...

Carson smiles back at me, and I realize I've been staring at him. Awkwardly, I smile back and turn around.

Then I feel something poke my back. I turn around, to see Alisster. Oh, joy.

"Who are you staring at? Your new boyfriend?" She hisses. "You think you can get him, just because he saved you in the pool and he's friends with your oh-so-famous friend Jayden?"

I just glare slightly at her, and face the front again.

She pokes me again with her pencil. "You think you're too good for Ben, still? Just cuz you hang out with the cool kids?"

That almost made me jump up and sock her in the face. I glance up, making sure our teacher isn't looking, then I whirl around and whisper harshly, eyes blazing, "I'd pay attention to the teacher if I were as dumb at math as you."

Carson, behind her, gives me a slightly confused look. Alisster glares daggers at me, but sits back in her chair.

As I turn around to face the front, I come face to face with the teacher.

"Excuse me, Bry, what are you talking about?"

I put on an innocent face and reply, "I'm sorry. I was just giving Alisster some help with the problem. I wasn't trying to be disruptive."

"Is that true?" His gaze shifts to Alisster.

"Of course not. She was trying to threaten me about the Sadie Hawkins dance. She thinks she can get Carson-"

"That's enough, Ms. Fields."

My mouth drops open, and I turn around to stare in shock and annoyance at Alisster.

"Respectfully, that's not true, sir." I say. As I turn around, I catch Carson's glance. He looks confused.

"Do you have anyone to back up your claim, Ms. Rumfallo?"

I gulp at his mention of my last name.

"Mr. Ticker?"

My head jerks up.

"Yes, Mr. Lueders?"

"I heard what they were talking about." Carson says, startling me.

"And?"

"Alisster was provoking Bry, sir. I heard no mention of my name from Bry, only from Alisster."

I hear an upset gasp from Alisster, and satisfaction bubbles up inside of me. Thank God for Carson.

"Thank you, Mr. Lueders." Mr. Ticker turns his intimidating gaze back to us. "Ms. Fields, Ms. Rumfallo, detention for today. Ms. Rumfallo to the Library, and Ms. Fields to the lunchroom. And no more conversations of any kind in my class. Understood?"

"Yes, sir."

-
-
-
-
-
-
-