×seventeen×

carson's pov

Bry is adorable. I really like hanging out with her. I can see why she's Jayden's best friend...

After the circle breaks up after Jayden and Connor finish the combo, Saryna comes over and tries to teach it to me and Bry.

Then there's another upbeat song, and Bry starts to unwind.

"Look! See, you can dance." She blushes, and I laugh and say to Saryna, "Tell her she shouldn't be a nerd always. Life's so much more fun when you're dancing."

Saryna laughs and gives Bry a silly look. "Yup."

"I'm thirsty, can we get a drink?" Bry takes my hand, and we go over to the refreshments table.

"Favorite dessert?" I ask, while handing her a bottle of water.

"Mmm, probably cheesecake. What about you?"

"Brownies. Can't live without them."

Bry grins and points to the table. "There's your wish."

I groan. "I'm supposed to be on a diet. Don't tell me that."

She giggles, adorable as usual. "I'll eat it for you."

"No thank you! I'll eat them myself. Thanks a lot, Bry." I roll my eyes playfully and pick up a brownie in a napkin.

"Let's get a seat," she suggests, and we make our way over to one of the tables in the back.

I pull my seat out from the table, so I'm sitting opposite her. "Didn't you want a dessert?"

Bry smiles. "No, I'm fine."

"You don't even need to go on a diet though!?!" I exclaim incredulously.

"You don't either," she retorts. "Anyways, you're going on a tour next week, right?"

I nod. "Young Stars in Europe. Some of Jayden's friends, like Mackenzie and Johnny are going too. It's gonna be tons of fun."

"How long is it going to be?"

"About a week." Taking another bite of the brownie, I set it down and look back at Bry. "Enough about me. What else do you like to do? You can't possibly always be a nerd."

She flushes. "Well...I like to read..."

I laugh outright, and she joins me. "I'm kidding. Let's see...I really like drawing."

My eyebrows raise. "Really? You'll have to teach me how."

Bry blushes, and as the song changes, she looks up at the swirling colors created by the disco ball. She's gorgeous. Her lips parted, eyes smiling, and golden hair falling down her shoulders...Then her gaze comes back down and catches me staring at her. She smiles shyly, but then reaches over and grabs my hand.

"It's another one of my favorite songs!" Gently, she pulls me up, and we cross back to the dance floor, where the DJ is now booming Wolves by Selena Gomez.

We bob to the music, moving with the crowd. Our eyes meet again, and she grins, seeming to light up the room with her smile.

I am so getting caught up by her. She's magnetic, electrifying, and...

"I'm getting tired," Bry says suddenly, coming closer to me.

"Understandable," I tease with a wink, "Nerds take some time to adjust to the party life."

She rolls her eyes and tosses her head. "Whatever. Mind if I step out for some air?"

"I'll come with." I follow her as we wheedle our way out of the crowded gym and through the doors. Bry pushes her way past the people crowded outside the gym in the hallway. Some couples are making out against the lockers around us, and Bry nods her head for me to catch up.

Once outside, Bry takes a seat on one of the stairs and sits with her elbows on her knees, cupping her chin.

"It's really nice out," she remarks, and the slight breeze ruffles her hair. I take a seat next to her.

"I'm glad you came," I say, unable to resist another jab, "You need to have fun more often."

"Excuse me?" Bry puckers her lips, pretending to be offended. "I have fun sometimes."

"Really? I always see you hiding in the library behind a book, hiding behind those glasses."

"What do you mean?" she protests. "Don't you like my glasses?"

"Well yeah...they look adorable on you," I notice Bry blush, and I grin and add, "I've never seen you without glasses."

Her hands fly up to her glasses, and she flushes. I try to take them off, brushing her hair back and trying to take her hands off.

"C'mon," I plead, "I want to see you without glasses."

"No," Bry giggles, but she looks flustered, so I finally relent. "Sorry, I just feel insecure without them," she explains, straightening them.

"I'm sure you'd look just as cute." I insist, and she blushes. "Anyways, thanks for taking me. It's been really fun tonight."

Bry looks away shyly. "Of course. I mean, if I didn't take you, I'm sure you'd find a date. There are lots of girls vying for your attention."

I laugh. A short silence follows, but it isn't an uncomfortable silence. It's a silence of simply enjoying the other's company. Bry lays her head on my shoulder, and I drape my arm around hers.

"So..." I start. She lifts her head, and we make eye contact. Suddenly, I'm at a loss for words. My hand lifts to her jawline, and I trace it with my fingertips. Embarrassed, Bry lowers her gaze, and my fingers lift her chin up again for our eyes to meet.

I try again. "I-"

Our eyes are locked, and suddenly, we're leaning closer and...

Something snaps inside, and I can't do this anymore. I sit up, and I see the disappointment in her eyes.

brynn's pov

He's coming closer. I can feel his breath on my face, and my heart rate speeds up.

Then he stops. My heart drops to my feet and I swallow hard.

"I'm sorry." Carson whispers. He buries his face in his hands. "I'm so sorry, Bry."

I look down, heart still beating fast, but partly shattered in pieces.

He looks up again, and then looks away. "I can't do this. I don't want to be called a player. I don't want to play with your feelings anymore, Bry. I-" Carson breaks off, and tears threaten to spill out of my eyes.

"It's someone else...isn't it?" I whisper.

He nods.

I swallow again, and then look back at his face. "Is it Annie?" I barely manage to croak.

Carson's head jerks up, and his eyes are shocked. "Wh-what? No, no."

I nod, trying to understand. Who is it? "I understand." I say softly, though I don't really. "I'm a nobody. I'm sorry I thought that-"

"No." He interrupts me firmly. "It's not about that. Look, I like you a lot. It has nothing to do with who you are or anything. It's just that there's someone else. And I've had a lot of fun with you. You're a great person to be around. I'm sorry it had to end like this."

I force a small smile. "It's okay."

"Let's go back inside, shall we?"

Carson stands to his feet, and I look up at him. He extends his hand to help me up, and I take it.

It will probably be the last time I ever hold his hand.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-