×sixteen×

brynn's pov

"Ready, Brynny? Come outside and let us see how you look." Mom calls through my door.

I roll my eyes. "Mommm. Please."

"Please yourself." Sadie, my sister says, and bangs on the door.

"GEEZ, give me some time."

"Okay, okay."

"This isn't the first time I've ever been to a dance, Mom."

I turn back to the mirror and inspect my look. Then I take a deep breath to calm my quickly beating heart. I'm keeping my glasses on, and my hair is still down to cover my face, but curled.

I get a text from Jayden. It's a picture of her and Connor.

Jayjay 😘

how do we look???

how do we look???

AWWW
SO GOOD
CAYDENNN 😘

oh shush

Smiling, I toss my phone back onto my bed and run my hands over my dress. I'm probably going to take pictures with Carson, and that thought makes my heart skip a beat. Hopefully no one notices me, even with glasses. I'll ask him to not tag me. Anyways, I look pretty good tonight. Satisfied with my appearance, I slowly open the door and step out.

"BRRYNNN!!!" Sadie screams, and engulfs me in a giant hug. "You look so good."

A smile makes it's way onto my face. "Thanks, Sade."

Mom and my brother give me similar treatment, until finally, Carson arrives. I see his car pull up into the driveway, and my heart rate speeds up.

The doorbell rings. Sadie runs to answer it.

"Hey..."

"Sadie."

"Hey, Sadie. You must be Bry's sister."

She grins. "That's me."

"Is Bry-" he looks past her and makes eye contact with me. Then his gaze sweeps down to my feet and up my body.

"Hey," I say shyly.

"You look...you look great." Carson smiles.

"You do too."

"Geez, either get out or get a room." Sadie rolls her eyes and crosses her arms.

"We're not even doing anything," I protest.

Mom and Carson officially meet, and finally, we're out the door.

"I'm not driving today," Carson chuckles. "My mom had a meeting, so she's going to drive us to the restaurant and walk to her office building from there."