|22|

| K I M J A Y O U N G | 2 2 |  

"Yonggiyong?" The deep timbre of his voice never failed to impress her in the slightest bit

"Sunbae..." Chanyeol was right in her face; it was hard to turn anywhere else.

The light chuckle brought her back to earth, reminding her that she was still in the kitchen. "Kid's real out of it today." He gave a light tap on her shoulders and pushed her away from the sink. "You've been washing the clam for 15 minutes. If Chef caught you, you would've been in trouble."

"Maybe it's that special lesson she got from Chef. Tough times, eh?" Kris passed by while dropping some vegetables for Chanyeol to clean. "Man, consider yourself lucky if the end of the day all you got from him is being tired."

Unison groans and sighs of agreement echoed the small kitchen.

The girl decided to get out of the way and let the Sunbae do their jobs. Kyungsoo and Tao were cleaning and arranging the tables while Chanyeol and Kris got their equipment and ingredients ready. Chef, on the other hand, was checking the storage room for other supplies he could use for the day.

All of this run by six people. The scale didn't feel big to them, but for her, the premise itself sounded impossible. Then again, their busiest hours were the first 5 hours or so; the rest they could just slack off; however, she didn't want to assume that since she had never watched the whole restaurant run.

It was 4:30 pm.

"Somebody, anybody..." So far, Minseok still hadn't come. Maybe, it really was urgent at work, but the problem here was slowly getting out of hand. "Who the – tell me where Kai is."

Everyone in the kitchen had been silent for the whole hour. Her daydreams about Minseok was gone and replaced by the dread of Chef's wrath. Apparently, Kai usually showed up at 3:30 pm with what Chef had ordered him. Today was alarming due to his silence and absence.

"We couldn't get to him, Chef." Kyungsoo stated calmly while he was careful not to look directly at the old man's stare.

"Son of a –" Chef got a hold of a pan nearby but stopped himself before throwing it anywhere. "Anyone knows why he's not here?"

A slur of 'no' seemed to fuel Chef even more. The man's ears were getting redder by the second. For a moment, she thought there was steam coming out of his ears. This was something Minseok had warned her about – Chef being angry. Then again, it was the real world with real tough work atmosphere, and there was an employee missing in an already small workforce.

"I can help."

Everyone turned to her; the Sunbae looked relieved and worried at the same time while the chef looked her up and down before heaving a frustrated sigh.

"Yeah, Chef, she could wait on the tables, do the dishes and give out the bills." Kyungsoo quickly added, afraid that Chef would push her away.

Technically, the five of them could do the work themselves just fine, but she had seen work in the kitchen before, and a pair of hands were very useful; hence, a missing employee could really disrupt the flow of everyone's teamwork.