|29|

| C H A J A Y O U N G | 2 9 |

The fancy array of backpacks and luggage seemed dull to her

The fancy array of backpacks and luggage seemed dull to her. They all looked the same to her. What was worth her time was Minseok asking her if she liked any one of them. She rarely heard the question being thrown around her – every decision used to be made without her knowledge, but not this time.

Minseok made all of this even more exciting. Now, just knowing that he would do anything for her now was enough to put her to sleep well at night. Safety in the comfort of his company.

This marriage still baffled her. Technically this should be counted as an engagement since she wasn't eighteen years old yet. They got the papers and ceremony early just to get things done. How convenient that parents got to make the marriage decisions for girls below eighteen.

"Ah, this one?" excitement in his voice she rarely heard, but these past weeks were different. This man was slowly warming up to her after months, a fact that she could hardly grasp every day. What took him so long? Was it her sister?

Minseok had a navy blue shirt with a white tee underneath this time. The casual look really suited him, but it seemed like his job didn't really offer him much of a fashion choice except suits. The content of his closet suddenly became interesting.

9:20 am.

"I guess we're a bit early, huh?" He stood awkwardly, looking around at the ground and at the backpack they'd just gotten. Jayoung already had one back at home, but he insisted on her getting a new one.

Then the idea of traveling hit all of her senses. "We're going to Japan." Trying to catch his eyes was always a feat, but at least nowadays he didn't look away as much. She knew he stole glances and was grateful that he was more upfront now.

"Yeah, we'll be in Osaka on the first day. Then we go to Kyoto. There, our host will provide all the fun stuff you might like."

It finally daunted on her that they were going to travel together. That would mean they would get to spend time with each other. As anxious as she was, Jayoung was just as excited and looking forward to it.

Then the sweet scent of flowers and new air she remembered traveling with her sister. The feeling of a new environment on her skin – anywhere but with her parents. A hard swallow when the nostalgia caught her by surprise.

"Oppa, can we go somewhere?"

The place felt a little different. With a new pair of eyes, Jayoung could see beyond the mourning atmosphere. She had once found this place to be weirdly peaceful, never understanding the implications.

A white rose in her hand as she walked slowly to her sister. Whispers of hopes and dreams, loss and sadness, she overheard while Minseok and Jayoung went deeper.

As she stared into her sister's eyes through the glass, she opened the small locker and placed her flower by her sister's picture. Jayoung didn't know if her parents didn't want to even buy her a coffin or genuinely thought this was a better place for her. No matter. The girl shook the idea off. She liked this place regardless of how this came to be. This felt simple like other common people.