Chapter 2

(Y/n)'s POV

By the time I had finished eating my sandwich, my body had turned completely invisible. It wasn't unusual for this to happen but it still gave me an uneasy feeling.

It was better to stay in isolation when this happened. I didn't have any true companions so it was undoubtedly better to be alone.

The air up here suddenly got a lot colder than before. I didn't know the cause nor did I care. It wasn't that uncommon for sudden changes in the weather.

"Yo."

I immediately turned around and stood up, looking for the source of the voice. Who was it? I didn't see anyone come up through the only entrance, which I was facing before.

Unexpectedly, I felt someone pat my head from behind. On instinct, I quickly backed away, ready to attack if the man standing in front of me advanced any further.

"Haven't seen you around before. What's your name?" asked the long-haired man.

I kept my mouth shut, cautious of who he was. I don't think I've ever seen him before and plus, I didn't even know how he got up here without using the stairs.

"My name's Zaveid."

I couldn't help but widen my eyes. What was someone like him doing here?! And talking to someone like me...either he must not know or wanted to get information out of me.

"I've seen you come up here everyday," he continued, ignoring the shock that clearly showed on my face.
"...w-what do you want?"
"Don't you have any friends? I feel kinda sorry for you."
"Mind your own business."
"Why are you invisible? Can you control it?"
"What do you want? If you're just looking for someone to talk to, then I'm afraid you've come to the wrong person."

He looked at me with a blank expression. I couldn't read what was on his mind. It was frustrating. I didn't know what he was thinking and that annoyed me.

I watched as he came and sat down beside me, casually taking one of the sandwiches that were left as if we were close friends. This just made me more suspicious. Despite knowing his reputation, I was still worried.

"Do you like this school?" he asked, breaking the silence.

I didn't reply, and just continued to watch as he casually sat there without a care in the world. I didn't dare say anything. What if I revealed something that was supposed to be kept hidden?

It would've been horrible if he knew about me. Just when I thought this couldn't get any more awkward and uncomfortable, he turned and met my gaze.

"Hey, want to go somewhere? You're always alone so maybe it would be good for you to make some friends," he offered.
"...no, I'm fine."

Skip class? No way. Did he honestly not know the consequences of that? And there was no knowing what he might do once we were alone. It was true that I knew of him but not about him.

"Well, class is gonna start in a few minutes. So? Want to reconsider your answer?"
"N-no, I won't. I don't trust you nor do I need to make friends."

He frowned but that was quickly replaced with an easygoing grin.

"Whatever. Then see you later."
"I have no intention of meeting you again, Mr Zaveid."

I grabbed my bag and went back to my locker, grateful to be alone again. But strangely enough, I allowed myself to imagine. What would it be like if I actually accepted? Would I be able to meet new, real friends?

Forget it. It simply wasn't possible for someone like me. There was no changing what has already happened. The bell rung, signalling the end of the break.

I reluctantly headed to my next class. Luckily the invisibility had worn off so it wouldn't be that embarrassing. But the next class was probably my least favourite.

The class where we had to train our physical abilities and/or powers. It was a little different from sport or HPE. I slowly changed into my sport uniform. Why couldn't I fake a cold or a sprained ankle?...

Everyone was already there by the time I had arrived. The teacher was apparently running late today, which was a pleasant thing to hear.

Five minutes passed by and no one showed up. We all began to wonder whether there was a change in the timetable, but that would've been announced.

"Hey guys, sorry I'm late."

Wait...seriously?! What was he doing here? I began to really regret not faking some kind of illness. Now he'd be able to see how much of a failure I was.

"I'm your new teacher. Your old one went part time so I'll be taking over this class."

I zoned out when he was doing an introduction. Of course, almost everyone knew of him. There was no reason for me to listen. And besides, I had more important things to worry about.

Like did he know that he was taking my class? Was that why he attempted to talk to me? Because the previous teacher told him about my inability to cooperate enthusiastically?

"Nice to see you again," he exclaimed.
"...is this why you talked to me?"
"Huh? No, I didn't know till a few minutes ago."

I eyed the man before me. He just flashed a simple smile and instructed the class to do a lap. I forced myself to run as well.

Suddenly, a boy ran alongside me. Who was he? I've never seen him in any of my classes before. He noticed me staring and smiled. I quickly looked away and ran faster.

I didn't want to talk to strangers. It was pointless. I only talked when it was necessary. There was no way I was going to start a conversation with a random new student in my class.

"Hey," the boy greeted.
"...d-don't bother talking to me."