Chapter 22

(Y/n)'s POV

"(Y/n)?! How?! Damn it! I should've taken all your power while I still had the chance!" Shiori yelled, infuriated.
"Heh, defeating you should be as easy as stealing candy from a child now that you've realised that you've lost this game," exclaimed Zaveid.

I leaned against Mikleo, unable to stand by myself. His gentle yet firm grip comforted my worried mind. I still felt weak and vulnerable to the real monsters that stood before me.

"Hey (Y/n), will you be alright by yourself?" Mikleo asked while setting me down against the wall.
"Y-yeah, go help Sorey."
"I'll be right back."

I watched as he ran to Sorey's side and formed a pact with him. Their transformation was amazing, almost enchanting in a way. Zaveid and Sorey fought side by side as Catherine sent guard after guard.

Shiori attempted to break the two apart but nothing she did was working like she had wanted. Sorey took this chance to attack her. He showed no signs of holding back.

I was somewhat grateful for the fact that they had decided to help me but a thought kept nagging at my mind. Why did they go through so much just to help someone like me? Did they not care about the state that they'd be in after all this was over?

I clenched my fists in frustration and watched as they fought. It seemed like Sorey and Zaveid were winning but Shiori had my power in her hands. I didn't know what would happen if she lost control of it.

But that power was mine. If I could take it back, then wouldn't it all end? It'd all be over if I could just take my power back and prevent her from ever laying her hands on me again.

How was I supposed to do it though? I had almost no control over my abilities so how?... I had to at least try something. It looked like Sorey and Zaveid were running out of breath.

I concentrated on forming a small orb. Nothing too dramatic but enough to turn the tables of this unbeatable game. The orb glowed a hypnotising grey colour. It looked rather dull.

Despite its weak appearance, I gathered more of my power into the small thing and threw it at Shiori. She was too busy fighting Sorey to notice the small, deadly orb flying towards her.

By the time she had realised it, it was already too late. I didn't know if it would work but I had hope. Even if the chances were slim, it was still there.

She gasped in pain as the power began leaving her body. She collapsed onto the ground, clenching her head as if something was eating at her mind. Tch, she deserved it. She deserved to feel the pain that she inflicted on me.

I had the ability to choose how much power I took. What if I took all of her life force and energy? The thought was tempting...too tempting. If I thought about everything she had ever done to me...

"(Y/n), stop!" Mikleo pleaded.

He had appeared in front of me, trying to wake me up from this trance. The look in his eyes told me all I needed to know. I wasn't being myself. This wasn't the (Y/n) that he knew and...he was afraid, afraid of what I'd become.

I lowered my arm and stopped. Shiori let out gasps, as if sucking in air. I could've killed her...I wiped angrily at the tears that fell. What have I done? I could've killed her! I wasn't a murderer!

"(Y/n), look at me," Mikleo demanded.

But I couldn't. I wouldn't be able to live with him thinking that I was a monster. I didn't want to be one but I was afraid that I had become one.

"(Y/n), look at me!"

The force of his voice made me jump. I reluctantly met his gaze. It wasn't there. The hatred...the fear...the rejection...none of it was there. He immediately pulled me into a hug, as if he was afraid that I'd disappear forever.

I could feel the steady beat of his heart as I leaned against his body. My eyelids grew heavy. I felt so sleepy despite not doing much...Mikleo...

Mikleo's POV

~Some time later~

We had made it out after convincing Catherine to stop all of it. She seemed to be the more sensible one and besides, Shiori was in no state to even remain awake.

Sorey and I had taken (Y/n) back to her apartment. We decided to stay until she woke up to make sure that she was alright. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if she got hurt again.

I still remembered the look in (Y/n)'s eyes. She seemed insane, almost...as if the (Y/n) I knew was replaced by some evil demon.

"Hey Mikleo," Sorey started.
"Yeah?"
"Don't look so serious. (Y/n)'s gonna be fine."
"...yeah..."
"*sigh* This isn't like you. You shouldn't look like this when she wakes up."
"Look like what?"
"Like you're...you're...I don't know, a mindless zombie?"
"Oi, are you trying to say that I'm ugly?"
"I don't know."

He burst out laughing, which caused me to laugh too. But he was right, I shouldn't be worried. (Y/n) wouldn't get any better if I just sat here worrying about something that might not even happen.

I looked at (Y/n) as she slept and smiled. She looked cute. Geez, I never should've left her alone. I was scared that Shiori had broken her. But she couldn't be.

"What are you thinking when you stare at her like that?" Sorey asked with a smirk.
"*blushes* O-oi! Stop suggesting weird things!"
"Weird things? I never pointed anything out, did I? You were the one to state it first," he replied while feigning innocence.

I glared at him but couldn't do it for long. We were laughing and this time, I felt my worry leave me in peace.