Chapter 18

(Y/n)'s POV

I was pulled along by Alisha and Rose as we went into each and every store that caught our attention. I didn't resist and let them drag me into the shops, happy to finally be able to spend time with real friends.

Sorey and Mikleo usually lingered behind unless forced by the girls to join in. It was obvious that they were just here to hang out, not to shop. I didn't mind though. It was nice like this...without anything to worry about.

"Come on, (Y/n). You've barely bought anything. Isn't there something you want?" Alisha asked curiously.
"Something that I want..."
"Alisha, that's not something you even need to ask. Of course the only thing she wants is Mikleo," Rose replied with a smirk.
"*blushes* W-what? That's-"
"True," Rose cut in.

I glared at her and tried to look unaffected despite the heat rushing to my cheeks. I desperately wanted to hide my face but that would just seem like giving in.

The two girls laughed upon seeing my face. This time, I turned away, only to be pulled into a warm embrace. My head came into contact with someone's firm chest as their steady arms wrapped around my waist.

"Stop teasing her already," Mikleo exclaimed but there was a hint of mischievousness in his voice as if he wanted to join in.
"M-Mikleo."

He looked down at me and cupped my face. I swear my face was like a tomato when he kissed me lightly on the nose before gently leaning down to kiss me on the lips.

I could hear Alisha and Rose's constant fangirling. This made me want to push Mikleo away but despite thinking that, my body wanted it. I leaned into him, not just to hurry this along but because I wanted it.

"Mikleo, enough of this sappy love stuff. Let's go," Sorey said impatiently.
"What? Maybe you should ask Alisha out then if you're jealous," Mikleo replied with a slight grin.
"Pfft, jealous? Who do you think I am?"

I couldn't help but laugh as they continued to argue. Rose and I looked at each other as if to say, 'they're idiots'. By the end of it, Alisha's face was bright red, like how mine was before.

~Some time later~

We had chosen to go to a ramen place for dinner. I was a little worried though. I mean, I spent what little money I had left on other small snacks.

Even the snacks looked expensive to me but they weren't really. I just had no money, that immediately made everything more expensive. *sigh* Maybe I should pretend that I wasn't hungry...

"(Y/n), what do you want?" Sorey asked.
"Ah, I'm not that hungry. You guys eat."
"You sure?" Alisha asked worriedly.
"Yeah, go ahead."
"...she wants a bowl of (favourite ramen). Geez, (Y/n). You don't have to hold back because of us," exclaimed Mikleo.

I looked at him, about to protest, but he simply winked and flashed a small smile. His hand found mine under the table. I gratefully held his, afraid that if I let go then they'd see the truth written all over my face.

"So what do you want to do after school?" Rose asked me.
"I'm not really sure. That thought has never occurred to me."
"I want to travel the world."

Her eyes seemed to light up as she talked about her dreams and aspirations. Something sharp pierced my heart. I was hurt by that pang of jealousy, knowing that I'd most likely never have a future like hers.

"Mikleo and I are gonna free the world of malevolence, right? Of course, that means (Y/n)'ll have to join us," Sorey said, a huge grin etched onto his face.

Mikleo's hand squeezed mine, as if to reassure me. I used that to fuel my confidence and smiled. I'd love to have something to live for...a purpose.

Our food came, making my stomach grumble just by looking at its delicious contents. We started eating almost immediately after the food was placed in front of us.

Afterwards, we split the bill. Mikleo secretly passed me some money, which I reluctantly took and gave to the waitress. I felt guilty...and it was eating away at my heart.

"(Y/n), don't worry. I'd do anything for you and plus, I did this of my own volition. So please don't go beating yourself up about it," Mikleo exclaimed softly.
"...okay. Thank you."

Shiori's POV

The tears that threatened to fall stung my eyes. Everything became blurred and misty. I couldn't see, I couldn't breathe. My heart pulsed violently in my constricted chest.

Mikleo was with (Y/n) and he loved her to bits. What about me? How the hell did she manage to seduce him?! He was supposed to be mine from the very beginning!

I wiped angrily at the hot tears running down my face. It was all her fault and she'd have to pay for what she did to my loving heart. I needed to get Mikleo away from her evil witchery.

"Shiori-"
"P-please...just let me cry on your shoulder for a while..."

Yes...I needed Yuma. He was under my control as long as his debt wasn't paid off. I felt him stiffen under my touch but that was fine. I didn't love him so he didn't need to love me.

It was nice to have someone to lean on. Catherine wasn't here so Yuma would have to do for now. His arms stayed limp by his side, like he was afraid to touch me.

Why did everyone hate me so much? Damn it! Tears fell down against my will and onto Yuma's shirt. I didn't care that I was getting his shirt wet. After all, he never cared for me either.