Chapter 5

(Y/n)'s POV

I pulled the scarf up so that it could at least hide some of my face. Even though they couldn't see what facial expressions I was making, I still avoided their surprised gazes as they continued to watch me.

The silence was uncomfortable. I wanted them to say something- anything if it meant that this awkward, stuffy feeling could disappear.

"Why are you..." Sorey started.
"S-sorry, I should go."

I grabbed the rubbish from the food I had eaten but before I could even take one more step, Mikleo reached out and stopped me. I couldn't read his expression but I doubt he could read mine either.

"Does this have something to do with the past you don't want to talk about?" he asked.

I could only nod in response to his question. His expression softened till it was replaced with a soft smile. Why...? I couldn't stay here any longer. It would mean that all my defences would fail and break apart.

Mikleo's grip on my arm loosened. I hesitantly shook his hand off before taking a few steps away. What was I doing? I should probably go down. It was pointless to stay.

"This is supposed to be a secret, right?" Mikleo asked.
"We'll keep it for you, (Y/n). If it means we'll become closer as friends," Sorey added.
"Don't bother. I don't need friends."
"Why not?"
"Because t-they're useless. They'll all just betray you in the end."
"Well then, those aren't friends. Those are just people you should've never gotten close to."
"How can I trust that you two aren't the same?"
"You can't. That's why we'll help you trust us, no matter how long it takes."

The invisibility wore off. The two boys in front of me smiled and held out their hands, as if asking me to be apart of their group. I could no longer control my body as I felt my hands reach out for theirs.

~After school~

I ran as fast as I could. I was running late. My science teacher held us back for a few minutes because of an idiot that couldn't shut their mouth for once in their life.

As I rushed to the little café down the street, I could feel the blood rushing through my veins, pumping up my heart. It had been ages since I've felt this kind of adrenaline.

"S-sorry I'm late!"

I rushed inside and apologised. My boss simply sighed and let me off this once, stating that it was my first time. I thanked her and went to get changed into my work uniform.

Working part time at this café was inevitable. It was the only job I could find that was suitable and fit in my schedule. I was already behind on rent and school fees.

As I hurriedly noted the orders of the customers that came in, I couldn't help but wonder about Mikleo. As to why he occupied my mind so much, I had no idea.

It was seriously a miracle that Sorey and Mikleo even talked to someone like me. If they found out about my secrets, then they'd probably shut me out like everyone else.

Those two were extremely popular people so the only thing I could expect was jealousy and bullying sent my way. I have only heard of three other girls that were close to them, and I was not one of them.

As I quietly made the coffee for the customers, I suddenly felt very tired. It was unusual. I hadn't done much today so there was no reason for me to feel so...exhausted.

Shiori's POV

"Has she found out?"
"No, she's clueless," replied Mika, (Y/n)'s boss and owner of the cafe.
"That's good. Hopefully we can keep it that way. It's working, right?"
"Yep, it's as good as new."

I smirked as I watched (Y/n) slowly get tired. She didn't even realise what was happening to her. Silly girl, she was so oblivious sometimes.

She had no family and no friends. No one would realise if she died quietly. I was actually surprised that she still continued to live. What was left for her anyway?

But I couldn't get what happened today out of my mind. Why did Sorey and Mikleo choose to help her of all people?! I admit that I was being a little careless, pinning her down when she didn't have the ball but I was so mad.

What did she have that I didn't?! Nothing, absolutely nothing! That was why she deserved to die! I was rich, pretty and smart. Why did Mikleo bother talking to someone who was none of those things?

Catherine nudged me, making me look up at (Y/n). She still hadn't realised that I was here, which was a good thing.

I looked over in the direction where Catherine was pointing. For some unknown reason, Sorey had brought his friends here. Damn it! Did (Y/n) ask him to come?

I could only watch in jealousy as Mikleo talked to her like she was his friend. He was supposed to be mine, not hers. I couldn't allow her to talk to him.

The way that he showed concern for her, the way that he almost cared for her well-being. He was supposed to do that for me...so why? Why didn't he realise that I was the one that truly loved him?

From the looks of it, (Y/n) was trying hard to keep up her defence. That was good. If she didn't and allowed him into her heart, bullying wouldn't be the only thing in store for her.

I felt Catherine gently grab my hand and give it an encouraging squeeze. I managed to smile at her before sipping the coffee that Mika gave us.

Mikleo, I swear I'll make you mine. So don't you dare fall for (Y/n).