Chapter 21

(Y/n)'s POV

~Dream~

I kept running and running. Having no destination in mind was frustrating. It was eating away at my conscious, as if it was alive. I had no idea where I was or what I was supposed to be doing.

There was nothing left in this dark void. Everything that had hinted towards life and creation disappeared. Loneliness and despair took their place inside this place which I had identified as my corrupted heart.

That was it. That strange woman had conducted her tortuous experiments on my mind, breaking me in the process. I didn't know what had happened after I passed out from the immense amount of pain.

Would I still be able to resurface from the cold depths of my shattered soul? Ha, what was I thinking? Of course not. There was no hope left for someone like me.

I slowed down to a jog, then to a walk. Soon enough, my feet stopped moving altogether and remained immobile no matter how much I willed them to continue.

I didn't want to be stuck here forever. But even if I did escape, what was there for me anyway? If that was the case, wouldn't it be better to just remain here?

Mikleo's POV

~Back to the present~

(Y/n)'s body was growing colder and colder. I had taken off my jacket and wrapped it around her body but it didn't help at all. I followed Sorey through the tower, unaware of where we actually were.

All I wanted was for (Y/n) to be okay. I wanted to wake up from this bad dream, only it was reality...a reality that wasn't supposed to come true, a reality that never would've come true if I had just stayed by her side...

"Mikleo! Sorey!"

We turned our heads at the sound of the familiar voice. Zaveid came running towards us before stopping. He was panting heavily, as if he had just recently been in a fight.

"H-how...?" was the only word Sorey and I could mutter.
"Yuma came looking for me for help. I came here straight away after receiving the address. But man, there sure are a lot of guards around every corner I turn," he exclaimed while leaning against the wall to catch his breath.
"Guards? We didn't encounter any. How come it was only you?"
"I don't know but you should be prepared in case they do appear."

He noticed (Y/n)'s corpse-like body in my arms before finally motioning for us to follow his lead. It seemed that he knew which way was which, like there were invisible signs that he could somehow see.

Sorey and I followed him without question. We fought off guards that appeared around the corners, just like Zaveid said. It was strange. Did they only appear if we knew the way through this never ending maze?

We spotted the exit just a few metres ahead. Before we got a chance to run towards the door to freedom, Shiori and Catherine blocked our path. Our escape was so close...

"Mikleo, hand (Y/n) over," Catherine ordered emotionlessly.
"No, I'd rather die than do that."
"Then we'll just kill you-"
"No, Catherine. You can't kill him," Shiori argued desperately.
"Sometimes, you have to learn how to get over your heartaches."

The two continued to bicker so we attempted to slip past them unnoticed. A strong force pushed us back, making us collide harshly with the wall behind us. I shielded (Y/n) from the impact, wincing at the force of it all.

"What the hell was that?..." Zaveid asked no one in particular.
"That was the power I stole from (Y/n). Why? Do you like it?" Shiori asked with a smirk.
"You-"
"Don't worry, I didn't take all of it yet. That's why we need her back."
"We're never gonna to give her to you."
"Shiori, I think you should do it now," Catherine exclaimed impatiently.

Before any of them could react, Shiori aimed her power at (Y/n)'s heart. It was no use. The attack already hit her before I could move fast enough.

(Y/n)'s eyes shot open before she screamed. She held her head in pain, and twisted around in my arms. I shook her, trying to get her to snap out the trance.

Nothing was working, but I continued to try to bring (Y/n) back. I wanted to have the girl that I loved back. I didn't want to lose her. She wasn't supposed to die now.

Sorey and Zaveid fought the guards that surrounded us while I tried to bring (Y/n) back to reality. I didn't know what to do. She was still wimping and crying.

My heart broke at seeing her suffer. She didn't deserve this. Why the hell did it have to be her?! I felt tears slide down my tears. (Y/n), please come back...

Her arms fell limp as she escaped to unconsciousness. I brought her lips to mine and kissed her softly, tasting the saltiness of my tears. (Y/n)...don't leave me alone...

(Y/n)'s POV

The pain subdued. I was no longer in the endless dream. Although painful, I could feel Mikleo. He was here, right beside me. I had almost forgotten that I had friends here waiting for me.

It was Mikleo's warmth that had brought me back. I smiled happily, despite how painful it was to move. Although my smile broke the kiss, I was happy. He had come for me.

"(Y-(Y/n)?!" he asked, shocked.

I wrapped my arms around him and felt the tears slide down my cheeks. I had never been so afraid before. I was afraid that I'd never seen him again. That thought alone was unbearable.

"(Y/n), do you have any idea how worried I was?!" he exclaimed.
"I'm sorry, I-"
"No, silly. I'm sorry..."

He cried softly on my shoulder as I lifted my arms up to hug him again. But our happy reunion was ruined by a certain girl's uncontrollable rage.