Chapter 8

(Y/n)'s POV

~2 hours later~

It was still daytime. I could tell from the light shining down on my face despite the fact that my eyes were closed. *sigh* And I was hoping that I'd slept long enough for it to be nighttime or at least dusk.

I slowly opened my eyes, afraid that I'd see either Shiori or Catherine here, ready to beat me up. Of course, that probably wasn't possible. They'd still be in their classes.

Instead of the two that I feared to see, Mikleo's eyes met mine. He had a book in hand, keeping it open on the page he had gotten up to. Wait, did he stay here the whole time? I didn't even know if that was better or worse than seeing Shiori and Catherine...

"Are you feeling better?" he asked while putting the book down on the small table.
"Yeah...did you stay here the whole time?"
"Yeah, I didn't want to leave you alone. I'm sure the teachers'll understand."
"Oh, I would've been fine by myself. I guess I-I'm grateful that you decided to stay but I would've never expected you to..."
"Hey, you're really better, right? Yuri said that you had a few bruises."
"Ah, that. I just fell over..."

His eyes seemed to study my face, as if trying to find affirmation. The look on his face told me that he was unsure of whether to ask more or just leave it for now.

"Mikleo, you should get back to class. I've already kept you here long enough. Missing out on your classes just to make sure I'm okay isn't worth it. I'd say it was a complete waste of time."
"(Y/n)-"
"Sorry, I never should've talked to you in the first place. Did you really think I wanted friends? Ha, what a joke. I don't care about you nor how you think about me. I don't want to talk to you again. After all, no one talks to monsters."

His expression was all I needed to tell that my words had worked. This was the only thing I could think of. I needed to distance myself from him. That was the only way I could survive... Shiori and Catherine's wrath.

"You're joking, right?" he whispered quietly.
"Why would I be? If you actually believed that I wanted you and Sorey as friends, then I'm afraid you're both idiots. I don't hang out with people for a reason. I hate them, everyone single one of them...including all Seraphim. You could even say I'm malevolence itself."
"...looks like I was wrong about you from the very start."

He abruptly stood up and left. I felt guilty. It was nothing I've ever felt before. Was hurting just one person that I had almost considered a friend always this painful?

Mikleo sure seemed to believe my acting. I didn't know if he'd buy it or not. I mean, my facial expression was probably really off-point.

Mikleo's POV

Lunch had just started by the time I got back. (Y/n) didn't actually think that, did she? I've never felt so...betrayed before. She didn't seem like such a bad person. Her words and actions were almost the complete opposite of what she just showed me.

I couldn't believe it. I wanted to desperately believe in her, that she was doing all this for a reason. But seeing as how she never even considered me a friend, that seemed extremely unlikely.

My heart ached. I clenched my fists. Damn it! I had no control over this stupid feeling of betrayal. All I had to do was push her away, just like how she did to me. It wasn't that hard...

"Hey Mikleo, how's (Y/n)?" Sorey asked as he jogged to my side.
"...as fine as ever."
"What's wrong? You sound a little...depressed."
"Huh? I'm not. *smiles* I'm just hungry."
"Great, let's go get something from the cafeteria."

We arrived after a few minutes of idle chatter. I could tell that Sorey knew something had happened. To be honest, I was grateful that he didn't ask about it. I didn't want to talk about (Y/n).

"Hey Mikleo! Sorey! Over here!" Alisha called out.

After paying for our food, we headed over to the table in the far corner. For once, I was grateful for the fact that everyone treated us like priceless objects. I did not want to talk to anyone right now. But of course, that didn't apply to my group of friends.

"Hey Sorey, have you finished the history assignment yet?" asked Rose.

I zoned out as they were talking about their subjects. (Y/n), for some unknown reason, occupied my mind far more than the upcoming tests.

"Oh, you guys are here," Alisha exclaimed while moving over.

Shiori and Catherine sat down and greeted us with large smiles on their faces. Unfortunately, Shiori sat next to me. What was I thinking? Why was I being so negative? She didn't do anything wrong.

"Hey Mikleo, is (Y/n) okay?" Shiori asked.

That question made everyone turn their heads to look at me. Great, just what I wanted...not. I faked a small smile.

"She's doing fine right now."
"Oh, that's good to hear."
"Isn't that the girl you and Sorey always talked about?" Edna asked.
"Yeah, but apparently something happened so Mikleo took her to the nurse," Sorey explained.

I glanced at Shiori, only to find that she had been staring at me. Uncomfortably, I ignored her and just focused on eating my meal.

"Hey, what do you think about (Y/n)?" Shiori whispered into my ear.
"Huh? Why do you ask?"
"Just out of curiosity."
"...she's no one special."

I thought I imagined it but I swear I could hear her quiet giggle. Was she happy that I didn't 'like' (Y/n)? Why though?...