Chapter 13

(Y/n)'s POV

~A few hours later~

My eyes slowly fluttered open, weary from the amount of power I released earlier in the day. Where was I? A room with white walls, white machines, white doors...white everything. There were no windows so I couldn't tell the time of day.

I was on an overly cleaned bed with bedsheets that looked like they were just washed. Despite my confusion, I didn't feel as worried as I should've been. Maybe I wasn't 'normal', that might explain why I wasn't freaking out about not knowing my whereabouts.

I placed my feet on the ground, testing my legs. After a few stumbles, I was able to walk around just fine. Strangely enough, my body was working as if I never used my powers. It just felt like exhaustion from lack of sleep or something.

I tried opening the door but it was locked. I had no way of escaping this place. After a while, boredom overwhelmed me more than the fear of dying without anyone knowing.

What was I brought here for? Who brought me here? So many unanswered questions...ugh, it felt like hours had went past but I was sure it was only minutes.

Unexpectedly, the door unlocked and opened. I immediately stood up and eyed the doorway with suspicion. Catherine came in and closed the door behind her. Her expression remained emotionless.

"(Y/n)."
"W-what's going on?"
"If you promise not to freak out or escape, then I'll explain everything."
"...okay."

She gestured for me to follow her outside. As soon as we exited the room, a rush of nervousness spread through my body. This was an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people and unfamiliar things...

"You were brought here after we detected a signal of your powers," Catherine began.
"A signal?"
"We have been monitoring you for a long time. I think it was when you killed your best friend. That was when we started."

My pulse quickened despite how much I tried to calm down. When I killed my first friend...my only friend. That memory which I tried to bury deep inside my mind and forget.

"We know you're half seraph and half human, which makes you neither. In order words, you're a monster but I think you already know that."
"...yeah..."
"Shiori's father is friends with my father so it is obvious that we became friends too. Anyway, right now, Shiori is trying to get closer to Mikleo and soon, you will submit to your evil abilities."
"Are you monitoring me because I'm dangerous? Because I might hurt a lot of people...or because you want my power?"
"That, I cannot tell you. I have not been given permission to tell you more than necessary."
"C-continue with what you were saying before."
"You are, in a way, cursed unless you are able to accept your dangerous power. I'm pretty sure you can't. Plus, despite the fact that you sway your mind otherwise, your instincts will automatically try to help you get closer to a person you have taken a liking to."
"And you're saying that that's Mikleo?"
"Yes and that is exactly why Shiori is trying to steal his heart before you do. Well, to her, it may just be because she likes him."
"Oh..."
"Mika is one of Shiori's subordinates. That whole cafe was made to lure you in. Shiori and I have been stealing bits of your energy, hence why you have been experiencing headaches, to try to create our own version but also to keep your power detained."

As I followed her around the strange facility, I couldn't help but fidget restlessly. My palms were sweaty and my hands were shaky. I didn't know what to do.

I wanted to run away, to escape somewhere far away. So far away that no one will ever be able to find me. I'd rather die than be used to hurt people.

"You're lucky we saved you or else you would've died. It would've been a hassle to try to come up with an excuse for your sudden death."
"Why did you guys beat me up so badly? I didn't do anything to offend you-"
"Nothing to offend us? (Y/n), I think you're misunderstanding. I harbour no ill feelings towards you."
"T-then why?..."
"Because I needed to take my stress out on someone. Shiori's the one that hates you. I'm simply joining in for the fun of it."
"That's..."
"Terrible? Cruel? Insane? Well, all of our researchers and scientists are. I'm almost nothing compared to them. Anyway, I better bring you back to school. We messed with your brain a little. Don't worry, we didn't take any information just yet. The only side effect was your sense of time. It is already what you'd consider 'tomorrow' and everyone's at school in their third period."

~Back at school~

I avoided everyone and watched from the very back as Zaveid taught everyone how to use the spell. I was too distracted to focus, not that I minded though.

I wanted nothing more to do with my power. As the class dispersed to their respected areas, I stayed glued to the ground. I just couldn't move...

"Hey (Y/n)," Mikleo greeted.
"*pouts* Mikleo, you promised we'd be working together during this class," exclaimed Shiori.
"Wait just a minute, go find Sorey first. I want to talk to (Y/n)."
"Eh...but I-"
"Please Shiori."
"...fine."

I let him drag me away from everyone else to a place where we wouldn't be heard by anyone. I was surprised Shiori didn't try harder to prevent him from speaking to me.

"Where were you yesterday?" he asked straight up, without even an 'are you alright' or 'I hope you're feeling better'.
"At home, sick."
"Stop lying to me. I'm tired of it. Tell me the truth."
"And what right do you have to know it? This truth is mine and mine alone."

He raised his hand. Was he going to hit me? Well, I think I deserved it. I treated him like garbage...