Chapter 3

(Y/n)'s POV

The boy didn't talk to me for the rest of the lap. I didn't know if he was personally offended by what I had said before or if he actually just accepted the fact that I wasn't going to talk. Well, either way, his 'submission' was almost too willing.

"This is Mikleo, he came from another class," Zaveid exclaimed.

He greeted the class before whispering something into Zaveid's ear. It was suspicious but I didn't bother to think anymore of it. It was none of my business.

"Right, find a partner and practise some throws."

I mentally groaned and wished desperately for this to be over. Shiori was obviously partners with Catherine while I had no one. I usually practised on my own.

"Hey, partner?" asked the boy named Mikleo.

I looked around and noticed that there was an even number of people. It would be pretty mean of me to refuse and leave him all by himself. With a sigh, I accepted and went off to a more secluded area.

"Sorry, I must've bothered you. My friend's doing an exam right now. He transferred to this class as well," Mikleo stated as we passed the ball back and forth.
"...it's fine."
"What's your name?"
"(Y-(Y/n)."

I avoided his gaze, but that was a mistake. The ball hit my head, leaving me in a daze for a few seconds. My face flushed bright red in embarrassment.

My long hair fell to the sides of my face, covering the heat rushing to my cheeks. I could feel Mikleo rush up to my side as he placed his hand on my forehead, where the ball came into contact with my head.

A sudden cold feeling spread on my skin. Was it ice? Only then did I manage to meet his gaze as he pulled his hand away.

"T-thank you."
"*smiles* You're welcome."
"You're a seraph?"
"Yeah."

I blamed my stupid self for not realising. It was unusual to not be able to tell them apart from humans. But for some strange reason, I sometimes lacked that ability.

"Did I throw the ball too hard? Does it still hurt?" he asked, concern etched onto his face.
"Don't worry about me. It's not worth it."
"What do you-"
"Hey Mikleo, want to be on our team?" Shiori asked while pulling him by the hand.

I felt a longing feeling in my heart that I hadn't felt in a long, long time. It was as if my body was telling me to chase after him...that he was a possible friend. But friends could not be trusted.

No matter how much you trust them, they'd always betray you in the end. That was a lesson that I had to learn the hard way. There was no saying what would happen if I made useless friends.

Mikleo's kindness was probably just an act. Despite how genuine it seemed, I wouldn't dare allow myself to befriend him. It just wasn't possible...

I watched from the sidelines as the class was split up into two teams for a game of soccer. Zaveid permitted the use of the Seraphim's powers as long as it was not used inappropriately.

"Hey, why don't you join in?" he asked.
"I don't want to."
"Come on, it'll be fun."

I ignored him and continued to watch as the game progressed. I pushed down the longing of wanting to fit in.

"Hey, I've been wondering for a while but are you a seraph?" Zaveid suddenly asked.
"...why do you want to know?"
"I'm just curious. I can usually tell whether someone's human or a seraph. But I can't with you."
"Good, let's keep it that way."
"No, seriously. My curiosity is killing me."
"Really? Then why aren't you dead yet?"
"Ugh, this is so frustrating."
"Don't talk to me then."
"I'm a seraph that can control the element of wind."
"Nice to know."

Just because he revealed what kind of seraph he was to me didn't mean that I'd just easily give away my identity like that. Who did he think I was? An idiot?

Soon, the game finished. I noticed Catherine smiling and laughing with Mikleo. Why couldn't someone laugh with me instead of at me? Ha, what was I thinking? No one laughed with a monster.

"Hey Mr Zaveid, can we play another game?" Shiori asked.
"Sorry I'm late!"

A brown-haired boy ran up to the class before stopping to catch his breath. I heard whispers quietly being exchanged throughout the class. Who was this boy?

"Sorey, you finally made it. I thought you'd miss this class," Mikleo exclaimed with a grin.
"Who do you think I am? Of course I'd be able to finish my exam early to come to my favourite class."

Sorey...the boy rumoured to become a Shepherd. And Mikleo was friends with him. I should've known. Someone as popular as Mikleo would obviously be friends with the most beloved student this school has.

"Well, I guess I can't say no to another game now that we have you here," Zaveid said, smiling.
"(Y/n), join our team?" Mikleo asked, holding out his hand for me to take.

Catherine and Shiori couldn't help but send me nasty glares. I didn't blame them. Mikleo's kindness was a little too suspicious. Why was he being so...nice to someone like me?

I fidgeted with my fingers, unable to answer his question. Suddenly, a hard push from behind made me stumble towards Mikleo. I turned around and glared at Zaveid. He just grinned in return.

Before I could process what was happening, Mikleo had taken my hand. What? No, I didn't want to play. My physical abilities were bad- no, they were the worst.

I could no longer protest as we went into position. Wait, I didn't even know how to play soccer. *gulp*