Nineteen

To: Caroline
From: Seth
11:30 P.M.: Are you awake? I'm royally fucked.

To: Seth
From: Caroline
11:35 P.M.: Yeah, are you okay? Are you in danger?

To: Caroline
From: Seth
11:37 P.M.: No, I just really need someone right now.

To: Seth
From: Caroline
12:00 A.M.: Send me your room number. I'm coming.

Fifteen minutes passed before Seth heard a knock on the door. He opened it to reveal Caroline on the other side, in her pajamas and her hair in a long, beautiful braid. He invited her in immediately, shutting the door behind her.

"Okay Seth," she began. "What's going on?" Seth held back tears. He ran his hands through his hair, scratching his head and walking over to sit down on his bed. Caroline invited herself to sit down next to him.

"You know the bank robbery that happened today?" he sniffled.

"Of course, it sounded terrible," she remarked. Seth sniffled again, a tear running down his cheek.

"It was, my roommate was caught up in it. He got.. really hurt.."

"Oh my god! Is he okay?!"

"See, that's the part I don't know!" Seth began to cry. "I tried to go visit him today in the hospital, but when I got to my car, three of the tires were slashed open! I ran all the way to the hospital and I was too late, I panicked, I ran to find him and now I owe a fine to the police.. he's never going to speak to me again, Caroline!"

"Hold on Seth, back up. Your tires were slashed?"

"Yes! Only three of them!"

"The fourth one was fine, then? Not that I doubted it before, but this was deliberate. Most insurance companies won't cover for only three slashed tires. Do you have any enemies?"

"I told you, Caroline. I'm mean. It could have been anyone."

"You don't think it was the boyfriend?"

"I saw him too.. he came in to get my roommate's things for him.. he asked if I was coming too, but I decided to wait a little just because of pure.. shock."

"Don't you think it's a little convenient that your tires were slashed on the day you REALLY needed your car?"

"I mean, I guess.."

"What's your roommate's name? And his boyfriend's?"

"My roommate is Darien Malloy, and his boyfriend is Andy.. Blackwater? I think? Why?"

"I'm gonna do a little bit of undercover work for you, hun. I won't get involved, just gonna do some people watching."

"You don't have to do that for me."

"No, but I want to! You're my friend now, aren't you?"

"Of course. I really appreciate having you around, Caroline."

"Don't mention it, Seth," she said and smiled at him. "It is kinda weird, I suppose."

"What is?" Seth asked.

"Just that we met not too long ago and here I am in your room and your business."

"Maybe it's moving sort of quickly but I appreciate you. Darien was the closest thing I had to a friend and I know for sure he's going to hate me now."

"I don't think so. He'll understand. Don't worry."

***

Andy watched as Darien slept. He sighed, wishing his poor boy hadn't gotten caught up in such an awful thing. He ran his hand through Darien's cinnamon locks and leaned down to kiss his forehead as a silent way of saying goodbye.