Twenty Two

"Monday, October 15th?!" Caroline exclaimed.

"It's what the flyer says, isn't it?" Seth said, rolling his eyes.

"Seth, we HAVE to go. We have to!" she exclaimed.

"You're so annoying," he replied.

The two were on their way to class after breakfast when Caroline spotted the colorful flyer on a bulletin board. The academy was preparing for their annual Autumn Festival, a week full of fun and exciting events, and it was kicking off the week with an Autumn dance. She was all for it; Seth... not so much.

"Seth, PLEASE?"

"Caroline, I-"

"PLEEEEEEASE?!" She shouted louder.

"Oh, oh my god, please hush!! We can go!! Just.. just quiet down, will you? Gosh," Seth said, almost panicky. Caroline squealed with delight, clapping and going on and on about outfits and dresses and dinner. It was kind of adorable, and he smiled at her, feeling lucky to have such a great person as his best friend.

On the other end of campus, Andy and Darien were gushing over the same exact thing.

"Oh, won't it be exciting, Andy?!" Darien said happily.

"Yes, of course! I'll be sure to take you shopping for a suit soon, okay?" Andy said. Darien smiled and hugged him, pressing a kiss to his cheek. They, too, were making their way to their class.

Andy had a nice sweater on over a button up shirt with khakis to match. Darien wore a pullover and jeans, comfy and ready for the day. He held Andy's hand tightly, happily, and was distracted by his boyfriend until he heard some girl shouting and giggling about the dance. His curiosity peaked, and he looked over to see Seth and probably the most beautiful girl he had ever laid eyes on.

He watched them for a moment, mostly her, and studying how she acted, spoke, and moved. He couldn't seem to break his eyes from her, not until Andy asked, "Darien? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, Andy. I was just wondering, who is that girl? I've never seen her before," Darien said quietly.

"Her? I bumped into her recently. Although I can't recall her name. Seems nice enough, though. Why?" he asked.

"Just curious," Darien said. He glanced back over at them, watching Caroline act like a goof, pinching Seth's cheeks and hugging on him. He also took note that Seth didn't seem to mind, either. He looked away and looked to Andy and grabbed his hand, indicating that he was ready to walk to class again.

Seth was dressed in dark wash jeans, a plain shirt and a leather jacket. A black beanie covered most of his head, and in his hands were two coffees; one Caroline's, rightfully so.

Caroline was bundled up in an oversized sweater, leggings, and boots that went up to her knees. She was adorable, and so was he, and even more so were they when together. It was their favorite running gag, the cutest couple that would never happen. Everyone got it wrong; 'oh, are you dating?' they'd ask. The two would just laugh and shake it off, because let's face it, neither had feelings for each other. Not that way, at the very least.

It was kind of their favorite thing to play with. Seth had no interest in women and Caroline seemed much too focused on other things for a boyfriend in the first place; she had so much time on her hands for Seth because, well, he was her best friend. She'd be with him as much as she would be if he were a completely different person or even a female entirely. The fact that everyone around them thought otherwise was so silly to them, so they ate it up.

The four students actually ended up going into the same lecture hall. It was the only class that all four of them had at the same time. Since it was a lecture hall, the teacher stood at the front of the room with all the boards, and there were over a hundred seats for the students on the other side, each row on a higher level so students could see, much like a movie theatre. Caroline and Seth took their seats, and Andy and Darien a few levels above.