Thirty Seven

Caroline's footsteps were almost silent as she walked across the room to open the door, allowing Andy inside. He greeted her with a smile, a big one, showing off his pearly teeth. She gazed up at him, delivering a smile of her own. Her face was already flushed with a pink blush, embarrassed about her previous text messages. She was still combatting her thoughts and feelings, and she didn't really know how to deal with them.

"So," Andy said. "I hear there's a girl who apparently thinks about me a lot."

"Maybe just a little bit," she said softly, moving her gaze to the floor. She didn't really know what to say.

"Hey, it's okay. We can talk," Andy said, and sat down on the edge of her bed.

"Okay," she said, sat down next to him, and kept her gaze on the floor.

"What's been on your mind recently?" He asked her.

"I don't know," she said. "I'm so frustrated with myself."

"Why all the frustration?" He asked gently.

"I'm a fucking weirdo, Andy. That's why. I can't process my emotions because I'm afraid of them and I've never had an interest in anyone romantically, really. Now, here you are, making me feel all these weird things," she said.

"I'm sorry Caroline, did I do something wrong?"

"No! No.. you didn't. It's the fact that you do a lot of things right. You treat me so well, you give me butterflies and my throat gets dry when I see you, and then when you're gone, I just can't wait to see you again," Caroline said, her lip quivering.

"Hey, hey.. it's alright. Don't get emotional. I don't think you're a weirdo. I think you're great! You're just not used to this kind of thing, I'm assuming. And that's okay too! I promise. If you want, I can back off a little?" He offered.

"No, I don't want you to back off at all," Caroline said. "I think.. I think I might want more of you instead."

"More of me, huh?" He asked with a big smile.

"Yeah, yeah I do. I think, I don't know. I think I like you. I know I like you. I just mean.. more than a friend," she admitted, her blush darker than ever.

"I like you too, Caroline," he chuckled. "I was trying to make that obvious."

"It's just so complicated," she said.

"How so?"

"I want to be with you, Andy. I really do. I'm just worried that I'll be distracted from my studies and work. As selfish as it sounds, I'm also worried about my reputation. You did a bad thing, Andy, and people talk. I know for a fact already that Darien and especially Seth would not take it lightly," she admitted.

"That's not selfish. It's rational. I know I did a terrible thing. I really do. Maybe I'm the worst person to ever walk this Earth, but god, Caroline," Andy said. "You are something special. You make me feel like a whole new man, a better one, one to be proud of. I'd never do anything like that ever again."

Caroline sat there in silence for a moment, staring at their feet.

"Caroline," he said softly, using his fingers to lightly lift her chin. Her gaze met his.

"Do you trust me?" He asked. She studied his eyes, and she felt her breath lighten up. She could barely hear herself inhale.

"I trust you," she said, smiling slightly.

"Caroline?" he said, lightly brushing a piece of her hair out of her face.

"Yes?"

"May I kiss you?" he asked her.