Thirty Nine

"You mean... you're.." Caroline began, slowly crawling out of her bed.

"Yes, Caroline. I'm.... I'm the Blue Warrior," Darien admitted, nervously shifting his weight.

"Holy shit," she whispered, walking closer to him. She studied his dirty face and hands, his stance, and his energy. "Does Seth know?"

"Listen to me, Caroline. You are the only person on this whole planet other than my own mother who knows my identity. I need you to keep it that way. I need you to swear to me on everything you have that you won't tell another soul, living or dead," Darien said with desperation in his eyes.

"You have my word," Caroline said, still completely shocked. She just couldn't stop staring.

"Thank you," Darien sighed with relief, and reached for a new towel.

"So he, uh, the.. the Phantom, he did this to you?" She asked, attempting not to ask something too sensitive.

"Yeah, he did. Surprised me, really. I wasn't expecting him to pull something like this, especially when the bank situation went sour," Darien said.

"So.. when you were in the hospital, they really got you? How did they not realize they shot you, Darien?"

"I got away. I have super healing, but it's not like it is in the movies. My wounds can't heal within seconds and I still have scars and bruises and everything else normal people do," he explained.

"Incredible.." she whispered.

"Now, I really need your help. I need to get this bleeding to stop. The hospital will ask too many questions, they'll figure me out. I got too reckless," Darien said.

"I'll do what I can," she said thoughtfully. She got down on the floor so she could be eye level with Darien's wound. She studied it for a moment.

"It's already slightly scabbing around the edges," she observed, and gently pressed a fresh towel against it.

"It's healing quickly, but it's deep. I might need you to sew it shut," Darien said.

"S-Sew it?!" Caroline stuttered. She looked up at Darien with wide eyes.

"Yes, if we can't get the bleeding to stop," Darien said calmly. "Don't worry, you won't hurt me."

"Darien, I don't know if I can," Caroline said sadly. "I mean, what if I mess it up?"

"You won't. It just needs to be closed. I'd do it myself but it's in such an awkward place, I can't see it properly," Darien explained. "Here, I'll thread the needle for you."

Caroline watched with a worried expression as Darien pulled a needle, some gloves, and a strange thread from the first aid kit. He handed the gloves to her, and she wasted no time putting them on. Darien held the needle in his hand and a lighter in the other, running the fire against the needle to help sanitize it. He cleaned it carefully with rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball afterwards. Finally, he grabbed the thread. It wasn't normal sewing thread, but it wasn't surgical either, and it would have to do. He put it through the eye of the needle and tied the end off for Caroline before handing it to her.

"Darien, I'm terrified right now," she admitted.

"It's okay. I'll lay down on some towels and you can ask me whatever you want while we do this. Hopefully your mind will listen to me and your hands will go into auto pilot," Darien said, fixing some towels on the floor.

"Okay," Caroline said nervously. Darien laid down on the floor and tried to relax. He poured some of the rubbing alcohol down his side to help sanitize the open wound before Caroline shut it.