Twenty Seven

"I wasn't anywhere, and even if I was, why would it be any of your concern?" Darien asked Andy. He felt bad for holding in a lie, but he was determined to keep it. He was also kind of intimidated. He was never really questioned like this before, especially not by Andy, who always coddled and babied him.

"It's my concern because I like to know where you are and where you're going at all times," Andy said sternly. "Remember the bank incident? What if I hadn't gotten there on time?"

"That hardly seems fair, Andy. Situations like that don't occur daily. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Besides, you don't tell me your whereabouts all the time, do you?" Darien asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No, but I don't need to. You're smaller than me, Darien. I just worry about you. Especially with all the weird shit that's been going on in our city. You need taken care of," he explained.

"I can take care of myself just fine," Darien snapped.

"I don't believe it, hun. I'm sorry, I just need to keep SOME kind of tabs on you. I can't have you lying to me. If you've been out, I need to know."

"You sound awfully possessive, Andy. What the hell has gotten into you?"

"Like I said, tabs, Darien."

"Well, I wasn't ANYWHERE, thank you," Darien said, turning away from him.

"I think you're a liar," Andy said, shrugging.

"Oh, is that so?" Darien said. "I suppose it takes one to know one, doesn't it, Dear?"

"What are you trying to say?" Andy said, crossing his arms against his chest.

"I'm saying you'd probably detect any liar considering you're one of the best!" Darien shouted. "Aren't you the one who told me Seth wasn't coming to see me in the hospital?"

"Yes, because he wasn't, Darien. I had to be honest with you," Andy said.

"You were anything but honest! He was coming to see me, but you kept him away, even when he tried his best," Darien accused. Andy raised an eyebrow.

"How would you know all this without making any contact with Seth, hm?"

Darien's heart skipped a beat for just a moment, but he was quick, and he was able to pass off his hesitation.

"A mutual friend. She also tells me you've been awfully flirty at your lessons," he snapped. Andy thought for a minute, staring blankly.

"Ah, yes, the red head. Caroline, is it not? I didn't realize you were friends with her," Andy admitted.

"Do you even like girls?" Darien asked.

"On occasion, she has to be of the finer sorts," Andy said. He smirked as Darien rolled his eyes in response and said, "oh, Darling, wasn't it my honesty that you wanted?"

"If you're being honest with me, then tell me this. Did you really slash Seth's tires so he'd be late to see me?" Darien asked, delicate tears pooling up in his eyes. Andy looked down at the floor for a moment before scratching the back of his head and sighing.

"I'll admit, yes, that was me," he said rather quietly.

"I knew it!" Darien shouted, letting the pool of tears flow down his cheeks. He covered his face with his hands.

"Darien, sweetheart, I only did it because he was trying to pry us apart!" Andy explained.

"You're the reason I lost someone I cared for deeply," Darien said, sniffling, his eyes growing puffy and his face getting red.