Thirty Four

"What do you mean you've been hanging out with Andy?" Seth asked Caroline, visibly upset. He had just gotten back from receiving a talking to from Z, and he wasn't in the best of moods in the first place. He looked tired, his face was creasing in some areas and he had dark circles under his eyes. His black hair was a wreck.

"Oh, Seth, don't be so hard on her," Darien said, putting a hand on his arm. Seth yanked it away.

"Hard on her? I'm not being hard on anyone, if anything, I'm being fair! He abused you, Darien! Why would we want anyone like him around here again? How do we know he won't do the same to Caroline?" Seth barked. Darien sighed in response and looked away.

"No, he's right, Darien," Caroline said quietly. "We don't know what he'll do, and it's disrespectful of me to hang out with someone that hurt my friend."

"Exactly. So tell him that you won't be hanging out with him anymore," Seth said.

"Seth, you're being so demanding. Can the person who, y'know, was actually abused speak for a second? I don't find it disrespectful. I wouldn't force anyone to pick and choose their friends around my wishes and beliefs. If Caroline wants to be friends with him, she can. Besides, she's her own person, and a pretty badass woman. I feel like she can take care of herself," Darien said, defending his new friend from his love interest pretty strongly.

Caroline smiled. It was a sweet smile, a shy and surprised one. She had felt ashamed and sorry for her actions, but Darien opened her eyes to show her that she didn't need to. She stepped over to Darien and gave him a big hug, embracing him sweetly.

"Thank you, Darien," she said softly.

Seth sighed and looked down at the ground, still quite frustrated.

"I'm sorry, Caroline. I didn't mean to be like that. I just really don't like him, and I don't want him around here," Seth admitted. "I'm sorry, though. I really am."

"It's okay, Seth, and don't worry. I won't bring him around," she said, moving her hug from Darien to Seth, holding him tightly. She truly adored Seth more than he'd know.

"I trust you. Just please, please promise me that you'll be careful," Seth begged.

"I promise," she said with a smile. "Now, I actually do plan on meeting with him tonight, just so you know."

"Ah, of course," Seth said, rolling his eyes, mostly joking. Mostly. Caroline just giggled at him.

"I'm gonna go relax, I had a crazy morning," she said.

"Alright now, you be careful, you hear?" Seth repeated.

"Yes sir," she said, saluting him. She let out another flawless giggle as she scampered out the door.

"I really do worry about her," Seth said and sighed.

"I know you do, but she'll be fine," Darien reassured him, and pressed a kiss to his cheek. However, Seth's mood didn't really change. He seemed off, maybe distant. It was enough to raise some concern.

"Seth, are you okay?" Darien finally asked.

"I'm just tired," Seth said. "I've been so busy recently."

"I know, you've barely been home as of recently," Darien pointed out.

"Yeah, but neither have you," Seth said. "What are you always up to?"