Forty

Caroline grabbed all of her belongings from the drier, making sure that Darien's costume was in the very bottom of the wicker basket. Delicately, she tucked it under the soft, fluffy towels. They were fresh and clean, with no evidence of blood ever tainting the gentle fabric. She was content once the towels perfectly packaged the costume below. She couldn't risk it being found by anyone, no matter what. After making sure she had all of her things, she hoisted the basket up onto her hip and scurried back to the dorm room.

Her feet tip-tapped on the hard tiled floors as she trotted up the staircase, one foot after the other, her delicate hair bouncing with each step. Her mood was beaming, and you could see it reflecting in her eyes and facial features. She was happier than she had ever been. She felt herself growing as a person, for herself, and she adored the feeling.

As she approached the door to the dorm, she swiftly put the key in the lock and turned it, only to find that the door wasn't locked in the first place. She let herself in, expecting to see Darien, but she was met with a pair of green eyes and furrowed brows. She stopped in her tracks and gripped the basket tighter, holding it closer to her body.

"Laundry time, huh? I thought you were gravely ill," Seth said.

"I was feeling a little better," she fibbed. "I felt motivated to do some chores."

"A little better? You're practically glowing, Care," Seth said, not buying her story.

She was practically sweating bullets. Her heart raced and she wondered how long he had been here, or if he found anything, or if he knew what was going on. She set the basket down in the corner of the room for Darien and turned to face Seth again. He stared at her for a moment before smiling sweetly.

"Well, I'm glad you're feeling okay. I was worried about you!" he said, and pulled her in for a tight hug.

"I'm sorry to make you worry," she said.

"Besides, you don't have to lie to me. I know why you said you were sick," Seth said.

"You.... you do?" she asked. She felt that hot feeling in her chest. That heat that you feel when you're nervous and ready to get caught in the act consumed her.

"Duh, I know you had Andy in here. Didn't you? Come on, Caroline. I'm not the brightest but I'm not stupid," he chuckled.

"Andy, right! You caught me," she said, smiling up at him. "I'm sorry for fibbing. I just didn't want to make you mad."

"It's okay, I understand and I'm trying to come to terms with it," he said. "For your sake."

"I appreciate that," Caroline said with a smile. She gazed at Seth's face and his expression, happy to be getting through to him about Andy. Truthfully, she felt like she was in no danger at all.

As the two ended their hug, the doorknob began to creak and jiggle slightly. It finally turned all the way, allowing the person behind it to wander into the room. Darien happily entered in his baggy, cozy outfit, fresh from the shower. He wasn't expecting to see Seth so soon, but he was happy to.

"You look comfy," Seth said, grinning.

"I just didn't wanna wear anything tight today," Darien said, walking up to his boyfriend to give him a big kiss on the cheek. Seth took this time to embrace Darien and give him a squeeze, just barely missing his stitches. Caroline winced and cringed as it happened despite Darien being in very little pain.

"What have you been up to all day?" Darien asked Seth.

"I was out talking to one of my teachers," Seth lied. "I have a test coming up soon and I'm not all that confident about it."