Thirty One

"Oh, fuck off," Andy said jokingly, rolling his eyes, clearly annoyed at the red head laughing at him. She had her hand covering her smile, happy tears barely leaked from her eyes and into the crinkles beside them. She shook her head, trying to get herself to stop giggling so much. She was so perfectly beautiful.

"Hehe.. I'm sorry Andy, it's just.. it's so.. not like you?" She said, laughing again, holding onto her tummy.

She was referring to the boy's outfit; black jeans and Converse that were much too big for his feet with a grey hoodie to match. He looked extremely out of place for what she was used to, and it was just too funny to her. Andy was always so prim and proper with khakis and polos. Where did this look come from?

"Caroline, I just didn't feel like dressing up to go to the café. I can change if you'd like," Andy said, messing with the zipper on his hoodie. He was growing a little embarrassed, and a bit of red flushed across his cheeks.

"No! Don't do that, I'm only messing around. It doesn't look that bad, really," she said, wiped her laughter tears, and slowly began calming down.

"Yeah, well, I'm not gonna study with you anymore if you keep being a bully," Andy threatened and chuckled. He liked picking on her; she was sweet but fierce, and fun to joke with.

"Yeah, right. Like you'd find a better study partner anyway," she fired back. He shrugged in agreement and the two began to make their way to the café. The air was warm and smelled of fresh rain; despite the sun being out, a lot of the clouds were grey. They were to expect some showers eventually.

Andy looked over at Caroline before glancing down at his feet as he walked. These shoes definitely were too big, but hopefully no one would really notice too much. The more he walked alongside this real life Strawberry Shortcake, the more nervous he became. For the first time in a while, he felt butterflies in the pit of his stomach.

"So, did you tell Seth where you were headed off to?" He finally asked, breaking silence's winning streak.

"Not exactly. I don't think he'd be very happy with me if he found out I was hanging out with you," Caroline admitted. "I hope that doesn't upset you too much, I'm sorry."

"Understandable, I can't argue with that," Andy said, placing his hands in his pockets as he walked. He kept his gaze on the sidewalk below them.

"He's been really invested with other things recently," Caroline said.

"Such as?"

"All the weird shit that's been happening. Especially the day care incident yesterday. It's almost as if he's obsessed with the Blue Warrior or something. I think he just really likes him and his fight for justice, something along those lines. A strong admiration, maybe."

"That Warrior is an interesting character. You could say the same about the Phantom as well, though."

"True. I can't help but wonder what the deal is. The Warrior is only here because of the Phantom, but why is the Phantom here?"

"Perhaps for that man who crashed the ball? Isn't that what he said? He was the Phantom's boss of some sorts."

"Hm, I believe so, but that just comes back to the beginning question. Why is he here?"

"That could be a lot of things, Caroline. Power, money, attention, all of the above and more."

"People are strange," Caroline said, and her delicate little fingers wrapped themselves around the handle, and she pulled open the door to the café.

"Agreed," Andy said, and they both slipped inside, comfortably, as the rain began to fall.

Caroline chose a table for them to sit at while Andy ordered them some drinks. He enjoyed a chai tea while Caroline sipped on a latte. Every few minutes, she'd look up from her homework and her cup to gaze at the boy. He had a different kind of sparkle in his eyes, and it was strange. He had done this awful thing, but he seemed so peaceful and small. Charming. Elegant.