Twenty Three

You could feel the thudding of the DJ's speakers all the way across campus. The ground shook and the sky droned on with the bass; they were doing sound tests for the dance that would be happening in just a few short hours. On one side of the school, Caroline was getting ready, making herself even more beautiful than she already was. She was probably way more excited than her date; she was a party animal, while Seth was pretty introverted. After all, he didn't really have the best reputation, and maybe going out and having a great time socializing could help change that.

On the other side, Darien was doing pretty much the same thing, fixing his cinnamon locks and fitting himself into the brand new suit that Andy bought for him. It was a sleek, old fashioned tuxedo, the classic one from the movies. He looked absolutely dashing in it, posing in the mirror and making sure he looked just perfect for his date. He was excited, but he couldn't shake the feeling of his stomach churning at the thought of seeing Seth there, or that girl, or anything related to them. He was rather frustrated with himself, and he continued to be even though Andy walked in and pressed a kiss to his lips.

"You look amazing, Dear," Andy said sweetly. He looked rather fine himself; he wore a tuxedo much like Darien's, and his blonde hair was slicked back with a lovely scented pomade. He wrapped his arms around his boyfriend's waist.

"And you look incredible," Darien said and smiled, kissing his cheek, trying to forget about his sour stomach and frustrating imagination.

"Yknow," Andy began. "I've been to quite a few dances, but I've never had the pleasure of taking someone as wonderful as you."

"You don't mean that," Darien said, blushing.

"Of course I do. Just you watch, we're going to be the most adorable couple in the whole place."

***

Seth dressed into a tuxedo of his own, not too fancy or exquisite, but it was definitely classy, especially for him. He tightened the tie that was supposed to match Caroline's dress and put his shoes on before getting ready to go pick her up from her dorm.

He walked nervously, not entirely sure how that night was going to turn out. Truth was, he had never really been to a dance before and didn't know what to expect. Was he dressed right? Was he misinformed on any traditional things that needed to be done? He didn't even go to his own prom. He was clueless. He stepped up to Caroline's door and knocked, eager to see his best friend. When the door opened, Seth's jaw hit the floor.

Caroline stood there, beautiful as ever. Her strawberry hair was tightly curled and pulled up into a high ponytail. Around her neck was a Cinderella style choker, matching her sparkly, royal blue dress. It was skin tight, one shoulder, and had a long sleeve. The length stopped right above her knee, and her heels were just as sparkly as the dress. Her makeup was done to perfection, complete with winged eyeliner and glossy lips. All in all, she was smoking. Stunning. Gorgeous.

"You look.... unreal. Like something out of a dream," Seth said, finally. Caroline blushed immediately.

"You really mean that? I mean, look at you! You look amazing!" She said sweetly.

"I really, really mean that," he said, holding out his hand. She accepted it, locked her fingers in his and stepped out of her dorm, locking the door behind her.

"Madam, please let me accompany you to the ball," Seth said, jokingly, squeezing her hand.

"Oh of course, monsieur!" Caroline exclaimed, giggling.