Twenty Nine

Caroline sat in the spot she had at the first meeting, patiently waiting for the other students and Andy. She had her unfinished painting from the previous class in her hands; she brought it due to the instructions to in the email Andy had sent out to all the members. She thought about the way Andy had approached her that morning in the café; he was.. different. Sweeter, more light in his eyes. She just couldn't shake the thought of it. He was such a peculiar character.

Andy stepped into the classroom before the rest of the students, unlike the last course.

"Good evening, Caroline!" He said cheerfully.

"Hello, Andy," she replied quietly.

"I'm so happy you showed! Well, what do you say? Would you like to help me with this lesson?" Andy asked.

"Uh, well, what would I be teaching?" She asked curiously.

"Simple, the best way to complete an unfinished masterpiece when you've run out of acrylics! We're switching over to oils today," Andy said with a smile.

"O-Oh, well, sure! I think I could help, maybe," she said.

"Splendid," Andy said, the rest of the students entering the classroom and finding their seats. He waited for them all to sit and get settled before looking at Caroline.

"Are you ready?" He whispered. She nodded shyly and he reached out for her hand, and she took it. He helped her out of her seat. She stood up in front of the rest of the class.

"Alright everyone, this is Ms. Caroline. She will be helping me teach our lesson today," Andy said, introducing her. She waved shyly and looked to Andy for direction. Once he helped her start the lesson, she just explained what she knew, and she was a natural.

Andy walked around the room, occasionally glancing up at his help at the front of the room, smiling at her. Every once in a while, she'd catch him looking, and she'd shyly look away with a small grin. She found it a little hard to focus on the lesson. What was up with him?

It was like he was a whole new person. He seemed chipper, he had new little sparkles in his eyes. He seemed a little more shy yet still bold all the same. She couldn't quite put her finger on it. Was it just that he was a newly single man? Was it just that he was trying to distract himself from Darien? Whatever the reason, she wasn't really going to complain.

Suddenly, two men in police uniforms entered the classroom.

"Andy Blackwater?" One of them asked. Caroline paused and stared.

"Yes, that's me. What's the problem, gentleman?" Andy asked.

"We've received a few reports about you," the second one said. "We have reason to believe you've assaulted another student."

Caroline's eyes went wide in shock. She covered her mouth. The other students just watched.

"Me? Assault? I think you guys have the wrong man," Andy said.

"We're going to have to take you in for questioning," the first cop said. The second one cuffed Andy and began the arrest, reading his Miranda Rights. Andy gave a sad look to Caroline before being escorted out of the classroom. The rest of the students looked to Caroline for instruction.

"Uh, well, I think it might be best if we cut the class short tonight, wouldn't you all agree?" She asked them. She received a few nods and they packed up their things. She decided to sit down on the desk and call Seth before she left herself. It rang for a few moments before she heard someone pick up.

"Hello? Caroline?" Seth asked.

"Um, hello Seth," she said.

"What's going on? Where are you?"