one - Adam, Eve, and Me

"Tell me the story of when Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, Father."

"Ah yes, I remember that day quite well. It was a cool day, I was walking in the garden of Eden, and I had called out to my children. They were not to be seen, until my child, Adam had revealed himself. He had replied to my call, 'I heard the sound of thee in the garden and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid.' I questioned him, 'Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?' His face held a look of lost thought and shame. He began, ‘The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate.' I looked to the woman, 'What is this that you have done?' My children had betrayed my command. 'The serpent beguiled me, and I ate,' she had said. I looked to the serpent and said, 'Because you have done this, cursed are you above all cattle, and above all wild animals; upon your belly, you shall go, and dust you shall eat all the days of your life. I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.' I turned to the woman in anger and said, " I will greatly multiply your pain in childbearing; pain you shall bring forth children, yet your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you.' I looked to Adam and said, 'Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten of the tree of which I commanded you, 'you shall not eat of it,' cursed is the ground because of you; and toil you shall eat of it all the days of your life; thorns and thistles it shall bring forth to you; you shall eat the plants of the field. In the sweat of your face, you shall eat bread till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; you are dust, and to dust, you shall return.' After I had made garments of animal skins and clothed Adam and Eve I announced, 'Behold, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever.' And I sent him from the garden of Eden, to till the ground which he was taken. I drove out the man; at the east of the garden of Eden I place the cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of Life, and that my child, is the story of Adam and Eve eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil."

I had always loved that story. I never really understood why maybe it was because the way Adam and Eve eating from the tree had affected the world today. Humans on earth new of the way of good and evil and some chose evil.

Then I started thinking about the human world and heaven which was filled with angels, and so I asked my father again, "Why must I stay hidden, Father?"

"You are beauty and light. The minds of every Angel and every Human would become corrupt with greed and wickedness at the sight of you my dear. That, my beautiful Vanna, is why you must stay here with me." His hand cupped my cheek nicely bringing forth a heat upon my skin.

"But Father, you always say, 'Fret not yourself because of the wicked, be not envious of the wrongdoers! For they will soon fade like the grass, and wither like the green herb. Trust in the Lord, and do good; so you will dwell in the land, and enjoy security. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust him, and he will act. He will bring forth your vindication as the light, and your right as the noonday. Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil. For the wicked shall be cut off, but those who wait for the Lord shall possess the land. Depart from Evil, and do good; so shall you abide forever. For the Lord loves justice; he will not forsake his saints. The righteous shall be preserved forever, but the children of the wicked shall be cut off. The righteous shall possess the land, and dwell upon forever. The wicked are not so but like chaff which the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the Judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; for the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish. But the wicked perish, the enemies of the Lord are like the glory of the pastures, they vanish--- like smoke, they vanish away.' The wicked and evildoers will vanish and can do no harm as you say, father. You wouldn't let such a thing happen."

He laid his hand upon the side of my fare shoulder. "Oh, child of mine. You have much to learn. I can strike down all the wicked and evildoers, but at what cost would I let harm come to you in the first place? At no cost would I let that happen. No price; nothing is worth letting greedy and blind men conjure the sight of my precious Vanna."

I looked down from his pure eyes in sadness.

My sadness was washed away as warm light encased me; Father wouldn't ever let me be sad. He always said, 'let there be light in the dark, and if there was no light from another soul then produce your own.'

In the dark of my saddened heart, Father produced light to lift me back up.

"Sad you shall not be Vanna, is that understood?"

"Yes, Father.”