four - Taken From The Light

Ever since I had discovered my new talent with the door, I couldn’t resist opening it every day.

I hadn’t gained enough courage to actually go outside the room, but I watched through the tiny crack as other Angels went about their business. Of course, if I did leave the room it would be quite noticeable. I was, in fact, the only female angel ever to exist. Seeing a female angel would be quite alarming for the other angels.

Father had informed me the day after my door discovery that the room outside our room was called the Light Paradox. Angels went there to receive their daily duties. Some angels were given small tasks that wouldn’t take even a day to complete and they would come back for another. Some angels were given month-long tasks. Those typically were the tasks that needed to be handled down on Earth. Father also informed me that only the higher up angels were given the longer tasks, for they were the most important and risky tasks.

Some angels didn’t come to get tasks, because some had a lifetime duty, like the archangels and angels just beneath them in power.

At the moment, I sat on the sofa near the door and engrossed myself in the book with the man in the back. I couldn’t help to re-read the information I had about him.

The slight breeze coming from the cracked door made me want to go look for him. I wanted to find this man and understand him and why he did what he did.

I looked at the door in anguish. Perhaps a step outside the door wouldn’t hurt. The Light Paradox had been empty, not an angel all day. I wouldn’t be outside too long, just enough to see the room.

I set the book carefully on the sofa and tipped-toed to the door. My fingers gingerly wrapped around the door handle.

My breath became stuck in my lungs as I slowly pulled it open and peered into the room.

It was quite beautiful. Pillars stood all around the edges of the room and the walls were a beautiful white and grey marble. The floor was a smooth white slate.

The slate was cool beneath my bare feet and I couldn’t help to smile with triumph. There were mirrors placed all around the cylinder room.

The mirror to the left had a label that read, “Labyrinth.” The one to my right said, “Earth.”

All the mirrors had a white border with exquisite detailing. Across from my door, however, was a mirror that had a black border. Around it were many flyers with a face on them.

I went to step towards the mirror but held short when two figures started to appear from it. I quickly hid behind a pillar and held my breath.

I placed my hand over my mouth to keep myself from making any noises as voices rung through the Light Paradox. Although these voices weren’t like the normal angel voices I’ve come to hear, they were different.

“Ah, yesss. Ssssee Balban, I told you they all would be absssent. Not a ssssoul in ssssight.”

They drug out their ‘S’ like a snake hissing. A creepy feeling spread across my skin as their tongues pressed against the back of their teeth.

The door was only a few feet away. Perhaps I could make it and lock before they noticed me. I began to get myself ready to run. Before I knew it my feet moved and I was running towards my door.

I screamed out as a man appeared in front of me. I was more scared of the condition this man was in. His skin was sickly pale and his eyes were completely black.

I took a step back when he smiled and rows of sharp teeth gleamed at me.

I whipped my head around as I bumped into something else. The other man was just the same only slightly taller.

“I wasssn’t essspecting to find a beauty like you here,” the man blocking the doorway grinned.

“Please, I don’t want any trouble. I was just heading back to my room.” My voice betrayed me by wavering.

They laughed at my words as if it was the funniest thing they had ever heard.

“OH, sssweetie. We have other plansss for you.”

My eyes bulged as he moved towards me and the other man wrinkled my dress as he held my waist roughly. The man waved his hand in front of my eyes and they suddenly became heavy. My legs gave out as the room around me lost all its light.