twentythree - A New Life; Proposal

It had been two whole years now since the war; since so many lost their lives. War is a tragic thing, all lives are meant to prosper not end so soon.

"Little Angel, are you ready?"

Lucifer's voice rung around the room, it was so beautiful it could make the purest white Irises bloom.

After the war, we had taken Lucifer back to Hell. I had spent a month closed in his room. I let no one in, and I watched Lucifer silently lay on the bed. I couldn't bring myself to let him go.

It was strange, he grew with color, instead of paling to a grey. The one day that I had finally decide to leave the room I came back to him sitting up on the bed looking confused. The food I had in my hands fell to the floor and I couldn't believe my eyes.

I had cried again but those were tears of joy. I filled Lucifer in on what had happened. He concluded I had saved him, but I still wasn't sure if I believed it.

"Where are we going," I asked curiously.

"It's funny you mention Irises."

As of recently, I figured out our bond allows us to look into each other's thoughts and mind. However, I haven't mastered that yet, and he knew I didn't like when he did it to me. I would let this one slide because I knew it was something he had to get used to.

"Why do you say that?"

"You will see here in a short minute." His voice was smooth like honey and it made me shiver with delight. How could this man be the ruler of Hell, but the ruler of my Heaven?

Lucifer had taken the liberty of installing natural candles in the halls to produce light. It made it easier for me to walk around in peace. I have grown used to the dark light, but I still felt discomfort, but the new addition of light made it easier to withstand.

I smiled when Lucifers warm hand slipped into mine, and his fingers laced between mine. As an outsider you would think it would be awful to be in any sort of relationship with him, but it truly wasn't. But, perhaps that was due to the fact I was created for him and we were meant to be together.

Our walking slowed as he approached two very large and very locked doors. Around the doors were very beautiful engraved wood. Wooden flowers of all kinds lined the doors and seemed to grow into the wall. At the very top of the the door, in latin, was Hortus praestitisti: tribue quaesumus -garden of everlasting.

I didn't take Lucifer as one the have a garden let alone a garden of everlasting.

I watched as Lucifer's free hand reached out and held the melon sized lock. The chains slithered around like a serpent until they receded from the walls and door and fell to the floor.

"Shall we," Lucifer asked softly smiling at me.

I nodded, I was as ready I could ever be. I couldn't lie I was a little scared of what might be on the other side. This was Hell, who knew what would lie around every corner?

Lucifer pulled his hand from mine and pushed the doors open. I was rendered speechless.

I was by far the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

There were so many flowers and succulents. I think the most beautiful was how pure white every single flower was.

"You can go in," Lucifer whispered in my ear from behind me. I jumped a little when his hands pressed against the small of my back forcing me to take steps into the beautiful garden.

I was unfazed by the loud bang of the door closing behind us, I was so captivated by the garden in front of me. How could something be so beautiful?

I smiled looking to Lucifer who was already looking at me.

"Just watch," he whispered looking around.

The natural light began to dim around us and slowly the white flowers had a blue iridescent glow and little iridescent butterflies flew around me.

We walked further into the peaceful garden. I continued to be rendered speechless as we were surrounded by elegant flowers and butterflies.

"What is all this?" As I turned to look at Lucifer for my answer he was down on on knee with a smug look on his face.

"What are you doing," I whispered.

"This isn't typically how Demons and Angels do this, but I figured I would try to show you as much of the world as I could. Heaven, Hell, and Earth."

The corner of his mouth quirked into a smirk and I couldn't help the smile covering my own face. I couldn't help the feelings of love swarming my heart.

"This is more of a Human tradition, I thought I'd give it a try for you," he continued. "So, Vanna will you do me the honor of saying yes to ruling by my side, not only as my lover but as Hells first ever Queen?" He opened a small box with a delicate ring encrusted with lovely black diamonds.

The wheels in my head began to turn as I registered what he was asking me. I had read this in a romance novel written by a Human author. This was a proposal of marriage. Most often the girl would say yes, this was a happy thing. But, did I want to rule Hell? Was I ready for that?

"You can have all the time you need, Little Angel," he said getting up from his knees and tucking the small box in his dress pants pocket.

"I am absolutely okay with waiting for you, I would wait an eternity if it meant one day you would be by my side forever."

This man was truly nothing of the monster I had read about. He was sweet and genuine. People judged him because of his job not who he was.

"Thank you, Lucifer."