Red Wine

You know, being a hopeless romantic who reads love stories all the time is not easy. Because when you read so many novels about perfect love stories, it makes you crave this unrealistic type of love, and then you start comparing those fictional stories to your own love life.
I always dreamt about meeting my soulmate in the most random yet fateful occasion, and falling in love with them at first sight. And then, me being me, I would probably do something goofy and spill a drink on them or something, but it wouldn't matter - cause by this point they've already fallen for me too.
Pretty magical, right?
But unfortunately, things don't work like that in real life.
In reality, I go on tinder dates. And it sucks.
Not to brag or anything, but finding guys who are interested in me is definitely not the issue here. It's just not as romantic, people are only interested in having sex (which is kind of the point of this app, but whatever) and honestly, I never meet people that I can actually connect with on a deeper level.

However, yesterday was different. I just felt like something was about to change. I'd been talking to this guy for a while, his name was Austin, and he seemed really nice. Also, he always laughed at my jokes, so he was already off to a good start.
I was going to meet him at seven, at this fancy restaurant, which was actually very close to where I live.
As I was gettin ready to leave the house, I got a text from Lauren:
'Hi beautiful. I'm home alone and bored as fuck. Wanna come over?'
Her offer was tempting and definitely more appealing to me than this date I was barely even interested in. But I couldn't just bail on Austin.
I left the house and messaged her back while walking towards my car:
'I have a date tonight, sweets. But I'm probably gonna need your warm hug afterwards lol so I'll come over later, ok?'
I got into my car, and drove off. I turned on the radio, and jammed to some old Taylor Swift songs. She always puts me in the right mood.

I got to the place, and parked my car.
As I got out, Lauren texted me back:
'Have fun Camzi! But no taking your clothes off on the first date (;'
Her message made me crack a smile. I absolutely love our friendship.

I entered the restaurant, and noticed Austin sitting at the table in the back. He stood up as he saw me arrive. I walked up to him, and he pulled me in for a tight embrace. And for the first time in a while, the first interaction wasn't awkward. Not like the other dates I've been on.
"Hi Camila. You look absolutely gorgeous", he complimented me, and returned to his seat.
"Thank you, you look great too", I replied as I sat down.
I don't know why, but this time I was the awkward one. Usually, I'm the more confident one, and my dates seem very shy around me. But he made me feel a little nervous, for some reason.
"Hey, would you like to order?", the young waitress approached us.
"Yes. I would like to order your grilled chicken with some Chinese rice on the side. And I would love to have some red wine with it. Camila, what do you want to eat?", he looked at me.
"I want the same thing", I stuttered a little bit.
I usually order a huge burger or some other not so flattering meal, cause who gives a fuck. But this guy made me want to be a little more classy this time. I truly wanted to impress him. The waitress took our order and walked away.
"So you like red wine? It says a lot about you", he smirked.
"What does it say?" I asked curiously.
"Well, it's not scientifically proven", he giggled, "but usually it means that you tend to look for a long term relationship", he added.
My lips curved into a smile. I have to admit, his intelligence was pretty attractive to me.
"That's so interesting. What else does it say about me?", I smirked.
He smiled gently.
"Uhh, I Don't think you would like to hear that", he responded.
"Tell me!", I giggled.
Our food suddenly arrived, just when he was about to answer. I was starving, but I was more interested in what he was about to say. And that is very impressive for a guy to accomplish, if you ask me.
"Here you go", the waitress served us the food.
"Thank you!", he said politely.
She walked away. His eyes shifted away from her and quickly met mine.
"Austin!", I insisted, like a little child whose candy was taken away.
He laughed briefly, and answered me: "You know how red wine is an acquired taste, cause most people don't enjoy it initially?"
"So?", I replied.
"So initially, people do not enjoy girls who drink red wine, cause they're an acquired taste too", he smiled, "but that's not the case here", he quickly added.
"Oh, I see", I smirked.
"Listen, maybe I'm wrong and it actually means that red wine drinkers consider love as an acquired taste. And that's why they're looking for a long-term relationship, cause once they truly like someone, they'll stick with them for a long time".
I was taken aback for a moment. His words intrigued me.
"Something's wrong?", his smile faded as he noticed I was being quiet.
"No, no, everything's fine. You're just very intelligent", I smiled softly.
He smiled back.
We ate, and kept chatting. I was having so much fun with him.

Our date came to an end, and I started getting nervous about the upcoming farewell. I always cringe at the thought of those guys trying to kiss me, but this time I wasn't quite sure what I wanted. But I definitely didn't mind him kissing me.

He walked me to my car, like a true gentleman. Once we got there, I turned around to face him. His pair of hazel eyes stared into mine.
"It was so nice meeting you. Thank you for a magical evening", he said, and left me speechless.
My lips curved once again into a big smile.
"Thank you for being so sweet", I replied.
Luckily, or unfortunately, he did not kiss me.
He just wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tightly.
The fresh smell of his cologne, along with his impressive display of intelligence, left me wanting more.
He pulled away from the hug, and looked at me for the last time before heading out.
"Bye", he smiled gently, and walked away.
"Bye!", I responded.
I got into my car, completely confused from what I was feeling, and drove off.
On my way home, all of a sudden I remembered that I told Lauren I was going to come over. I pulled over to text her:
'Hey angel, I'm tired as hell. It was a nice date though. I'll talk to you tomorrow'
I got home, and took a long, hot shower.
That date was truly something else.