I'm Happy That You're Alive

8:30 o'clock, Wednesday morning.
South Miami hospital.

Lauren was sitting alone by the door of the emergency room. She suddenly saw a doctor passing by, and quickly got up to ask him what's going on with me and my parents.
"Sir, can you please check what about-"
"I'm sorry, I have to go", the doctor cut her off
And waked away.
Lauren went back to her chair, for the sixth time ever since she got there. No one was willing to tell her what was going on with my family. Abuela couldn't come with her as well because she had to take care of Sofi, so Lauren got there completely alone, not knowing what was going to happen with me. She wanted to cry so bad but she just couldn't let herself break down. And that's one thing I've always admired about Lauren. She might be horrible at dealing with the consequences of her actions, and she never chooses the right way to cope with her messy emotions. But when she needs to be stronger for someone else, she never lets her emotions tear her apart. When times like these arrive, she becomes stronger than people think she is.
Another doctor passed by, but this time she wasn't going to let get away without receiving an answer.
"Sir, please, I need to know about Camila Cabello and her parents' situation", she said sharply.
"Who are you?", the doctor replied with a question.
"I'm Lauren Jauregui, I'm Camila's best friend", Lauren responded.
"Then I can't tell you any details about their situation, I'm sorry", he was about to leave.
Lauren grabbed his arm and didn't let him go.
"Sir, I've been waiting for an hour, I have to know what's going on with them", her voice was shaking.
The doctor stopped walking away, so Lauren let go of his arm.
"Who are you here for again?", he asked.
"Camila Cabello", she immediately answered, "She arrived with both of her parents after a car crash", she added.
"What's your name again?", the doctor spoke.
"I'm Lauren Jauregui", she replied.
"You see, Lauren, the three of them arrived here after a serious car crash. But everyone is safe now, their situation is not life-threatening anymore", the doctor responded.
"So where are they now?", she asked.
"They're already in the recovery department, they went under anesthesia", he replied.
"Can I see them?", Lauren asked.
"I don't think so-"
"Please", she insisted desperately.
He stayed silent for a few moments, and then gestured her to follow him.
"Come with me", he started walking towards the room they were in.
Lauren entered the room and noticed my parents, lying apart from each other on two different hospital beds. She walked up to them and examined their faces, which were covered in bruises.
"They both decided to sit in the back of the car. Little did they know it would reduce the damage of the accident", the doctor suddenly spoke.
"Where is Camila?", she looked over at him.
"In the next room. Come", he started walking towards the room next door.
Lauren followed him and entered the room to find me lying there, with something looking like an aspen collar around my neck. She covered her mouth with her hand in shock and her eyes started welling up.
"I have to go now", the doctor spoke.
"Thank you, sir", Lauren turned to look at him.
Once he got out of the room she was left alone with me. She sat on the chair next to the bed I was lying on, and stared at my swollen face. She started stroking my forehead with her finger, touching the skin around the wound that was left there from the crash.
She rubbed the edge of my lip with her thumb, and her lips curved into a soft smile.
After an hour of staring at my face which was not moving at all, Lauren began to feel a little thirsty, so she went to get herself something to drink from the vending machine.
She came back to the room with a bottle of coke, and returned to her seat next to my bed.
She kept looking at me, waiting for me to wake up, when suddenly I started opening my eyes.
A big smile appeared on Lauren's face as she saw me waking up.
"Oh my god", her voice was shaking.
I tried to turn my head to look at her, but it was a little hard to do because of the collar which was surrounding my neck. I looked over at Lauren, completely confused regarding what was going on, and noticed a single tear rolling down her cheek.
"Lauren", I whispered, cause I was struggling to talk.
"Yes?", she was still tearing up, but the smile on her face didn't come off the whole time.
"Why are you crying?", I slowly reached her cheek with my hand and wiped the single tear away.
"Cause I'm happy that you're alive", she spoke.
"Why wouldn't I be alive?", I asked.
She giggled. We both stayed silent for a few moments, but kept looking at each other without breaking eye contact.
"What are you doing here?", I broke the silence, with a tone of confusion in my voice.
"That's kinda offensive to ask", she smirked, "I would've been the absolute worst best friend if I hadn't come here", she added.
"You kinda are the worst best friend", I replied.
Her smile immediately faded, and she looked down from embarrassment.
"I'm kidding, I don't mean that", I quickly added, "But I am still mad at you", I gazed at her.
She was still looking down without saying a word.
"I didn't mean that! You know how sarcastic I am", I said.
She finally raised her had to look at me.
"I had a dream yesterday, about you and I", she spoke, and left me completely speechless.