Take Me Home

Lauren woke up dizzy and felt like she was about to puke her soul out. She reached for her bag and searched for her phone. She tried calling her mother, cause she couldn't handle sleeping alone in her apartment at that moment. Her mother didn't pick up. She was left stranded in the middle of the street, laying helpless on the floor without no one to help her. So she decided to call me.

It was 4am, and I was already asleep. After I finished writing the song I started, I got in bed and fell asleep. Then suddenly, in the middle of the night, I woke up to Lauren's calling me. I didn't know what she wanted, and at that moment I didn't care. I assumed she was probably calling in order to apologize for what she said earlier, but I didn't want to cope with her drunk self. So I rejected her call. Little did I know she was lying alone on the ground, in the middle of the night.
She left a voice message for me. I hesitated listening to it, but I eventually decided to do so.
"Camila, please come over. I need your help", her voice was shaking and it seemed like she was crying. "Someone beat the shit out of me and now I can't move, I'm laying on the sidewalk outside my house. Please come, I need you".
I was completely shocked to hear this voice message. I immediately got out of bed, and ran downstairs. I grabbed my keys and ran quickly to my car. I drove as fast as I could to Lauren's house, to find her smeared on the floor with several bruises on her body. I got out of my car and ran towards her.
"What the fuck happened?!", I totally panicked seeing her in that situation.
"Can you help me go home?", she mumbled while struggling to talk.
"No fucking way, I'm taking you to my house. I can't let you sleep alone like that", I helped her get up and get in my car.
On our way to my home she fell asleep while resting her head on my shoulder.
We arrived at my house, so I woke her up.
"Lauren, we're here", I put my hand on her thigh, "wake up".
She woke up and we went inside.
"Wait here, I'm gonna make the bed in the guest room", I walked her to the couch in the living room, then went to organize the guest room for her.
"Camila", she suddenly spoke, causing me to stop what I was doing.
"What?", I answered.
"Can I sleep in your room? I don't wanna be alone", she said and left me a little speechless.
But I couldn't say no cause of what she went through.
"But I don't have another bed", I responded.
"I can sleep in yours. Would you mind sleeping with me tonight?", she asked.
I didn't know how to respond. But my lips curved into a soft smile, and I nodded gently. I walked her upstairs, and we entered my room. I helped her sit on my bed, and she slowly lied down.
"Do you want some ice on that?", I asked while gently stroking her cheek, around the bruise which was left there.
"No, just lie next to me, please", she asked desperately.
I got in bed and lied next to her under the blanket which was covering the both of us.
She put her head on my chest and wrapped one arm around my stomach. I wrapped my arm around her body as well and laid a soft kiss on her head. After a few minutes she was already asleep but I wasn't, cause the thoughts running through my head about the whole situation were keeping me awake. After a few more minutes of thinking, I fell asleep too.

The morning arrived, and I woke up early, cause the whole situation made me feel restless. Having Lauren in my arms, in my own bed, wasn't the thing that bothered me, not at all. However, seeing her in that situation, totally broken and desperate, made me want to give the world to her. I couldn't sleep well, knowing that if I'd ignored her message, she would have been lying there alone for who knows how long.
I got out of bed and cooked some eggs for breakfast. As soon as I finished making breakfast, Lauren woke up from her sleep and was a little confused as to why I wasn't laying next to her.
"Camila?", she called my name from upstairs.
"What?", I answered from downstairs.
"What are you doing?", she asked.
"Just wait a few seconds, I'm coming upstairs", I said while putting our plates on a cute little tray.
I grabbed some orange juice from the fridge, and put it on the tray as well. I picked up the tray and went upstairs to find Lauren looking like a total mess. She was hungover and her face was covered in bruises. She looked at me and noticed the tray I was holding, which suddenly made her crack a smile.
"No you didn't!", she smiled broadly.
"Good morning, princess", I couldn't stop myself from smiling too.
I served her her food, and we both sat on my bed and ate our breakfast.
We finished eating, and I brought some Aloe vera for Lauren's bruises.
I gently stroked the skin around the wound on her face with the tips of my fingers. Then I put some Aloe vera on my fingers and started rubbing the wound gently, causing her face to grimace a little from the pain.
"You're okay?", I stopped touching the wound.
She nodded, signing me to keep going.
I rubbed her wound with the gel one more time until it was looking better.
"Do you have more bruises?", I asked.
She started pulling up her shirt, revealing a huge bruise on her ribcage.
"Oh my fucking god, Lauren. How did this happen?", I asked worryingly while touching the skin around the bruise.
"Can we not.. talk about this?", she said shyly.
"Ok", I responded.
Her answer made me a little frustrated. It made me upset that after all I've done for her, she wouldn't tell me what the fuck happened to her yesterday. But I knew she would tell me eventually, so I was willing to wait until she was ready.