one

edit: hi this was the first
book i ever wrote, so don't
judge me off of this lmao

~
kenzie's pov

"hurry up, john!" meredith yells. me and the girls laugh about how he's always late- no doubt scrambling to pack his bag right now.

let me explain further. meredith is my mother's, melissa's, best friend and has been since they were in college. dale, mer's husband, is also close with greg, my stepfather. mer and dale have four kids; darian, who's in her final year of college, maddie, who's in her first year, lauren, my best friend, and johnny, my other best friend. my name is kenzie. i have one sister, also named maddie.

our moms and us kids are having an impulsive getaway trip this weekend, so we're driving out to the beach. we do stuff like this all the time. they're like my second family. darian and maddie orlando, unfortunately, are away at college and won't be joining us on the trip today.

"john, get your ass downstairs now or we're leaving without you!" maddie yells, and mom narrows her eyes.

"language, madison."

maddie rolls her eyes. i snort and share a laugh with lauren.

"i'm coming, i'm coming!" john hollers as he trips down the stairs, lugging his bag behind him.

"you just packed that now, didn't you?" i ask as our moms head towards the car.

"of course not kenzie! that would be very unprepared of me, wouldn't it?" he says sarcastically, giving me a lopsided smile. his green eyes flicker with joy, and i cant help but smile back. i know him all too well.

"mads and i call frooonnttt!" lauren sings, referring to the minivan seating.

"oh my god, no. i will not sit in the backseat with john for a five hour car drive!" i complain. "some best friend you are, lauren!"

lauren laughs. "replaced!" maddie jokes.

we get our luggage settled in the trunk, and mer gets in the drivers seat and my mom takes shotgun. lauren and maddie sit in the middle section, giggling about something, and john and i make ourselves comfortable in the back. he props his feet up on my lap, and i stare at his feet in disgust.

"foot fetish?" he asks with a smirk, referring to my staring.

"ha ha, very funny. now get your stinky feet off of me!" i shove his feet off, and he protests.

"my feet are not stinky!"

"whatever, john." i laugh.

"what's the point of this trip, anyway? you guys totally sprung this on us yesterday." maddie confronts our mothers, and they share a glance.

"just needed some time away from the men." my mother laughs weakly, and john snorts.

"thanks, guys! really feeling the love," he says with mock annoyance.

"come on john, you don't count as a man. you haven't even gone through puberty yet!" i snort. lauren reaches behind to high five me.

"good one, kenz!" she giggles.

john leans up against me randomly. he pulls his lips close to my neck, his hot breath fanning against my skin.

"fuck you." he mutters against my neck so the moms wouldn't hear and call him out for his 'bad language.' well played, john. he always manages to get away with cursing, while me, lauren, and maddie almost always get in trouble.

i burst out laughing, hiding the fact that some part of me felt weird when he did that. i've had a minor (okay, major) crush on john for as long as i can remember. and recently it's gotten worse. i cant help it- he's so attractive and funny and he's always there for me. it's hard to not fall for him. i haven't told anyone, and i've had crushes on other guys too, but something about john- i just couldn't shake my feelings for him, even though it's been almost 7 years since they started.

not that he feels the same way.

but something about our closeness earlier had made me wish he returned my feelings, though normally i'm fine with just staying friends.

and then our road trip starts, with all of us laughing and chatting. i wish it could've stayed like this forever.