thirteen

kenzie's pov

today's the day of the party! lauren and john stayed true to their word, and after a quick brunch we drove over to my house. we've planned for them to spend the night, so hopefully we can clean up the probable mess in my house tomorrow before my mom comes back home.

a little while before everyone was supposed to show up, i ran upstairs and changed into a white dress with thin navy stripes. (an, the brandy one, everyone wears this in my town ahah i have it in black)

an hour later, the party's into full swing. the smell of alcohol burns my nose. i did provide red solo cups, for drinks, but i don't know who brought alcohol. it was expected, of course, but still. plugging my nose, i weave through the crowd, looking for lauren. i can feel the music thumping the floor, and i sidestep over a spilt beer on the ground. gross, i think as i shove past a couple making out on my couch. why did i agree to this?

"kenz!" i hear a voice say as an arm slings around my shoulders. i turn to see who it is and immediately break out into a smile.

"hey carson!" i giggle, leaning into my best friends open arms. "how was camp?"

"it was fun." he smiled, as his eyes scanned the room and finally landed on one spot. "annie!over here!"

"wheres annie?" i crane my neck, looking for my friend. "i haven't seen her in a while!" my eyes finally spotted the perky brunette as she bounced over to us cheerily.

"hey, carson, kenz!" she greeted us, quickly hugging us one at a time. "why have you been so busy the past week?" annie asks me. a wave of guilt washes over me; i've been spending all my time with johnny and lauren as they've been visiting, and have been turning down plans with other friends.

"my two best friends are in town." i say truthfully. "and i haven't seen them in years, and they leave in a week."

"that sucks." annie pouts. "but i've gotta admit, i'm glad you're not avoiding me."

"i would never!" i giggle. i see johnny from across the room and motion for him to come.

"hi." johnny says. i roll my eyes; he could try to be friendlier.

"this is one of my best friends i was telling you about!" i smile. "johnny, this is annie and carson. carson and annie, this is johnny!"

"hey!" annie says.

"hey." carson nods and smiles.

"you guys would get along well." i realize suddenly. "so go talk over there, i've got to find lauren!" i shove carson away, laughing as i walk away from my friends. "see you later!"

they all chorus their goodbyes as i wander deeper into the array of people who i barely know. more than half are drunk or high. god, where is lauren? hopefully she's okay. i hunt for a bit longer and then give up, heading to the kitchen to get myself a coke.

finally, i see lauren! she's gotta be sober, right? right. she's dancing on the kitchen table, that's totally innocent. that's when i realize she's pulling her shirt off. barreling towards her, i jump up on the table and yank it back down.

"shhh, lolo, get off the table." i try to shut her up, but she's slurring and falling everywhere. "shit, you need to get some sleep." i mumble as i look for some sober person, any sober person, to give me a hand here. unfortunately, my friends are far away, on the other side of the house, and i need someone to help me who's close by. i cant carry lauren far at all.

"fancy meeting you here." i hear a voice say from behind me. i turn around, shocked.

brandon rowland. my ex. great. at least he's sober. "brand, i know it's been a while, but i need a hand. please." i motion to lauren in my arms, and he gets the idea and slings her arm around him as we carry her to my room. setting her down on the bed, i exhale.

"thank you." i say, suddenly shy.

"no problem." he smiles and steps closer to me. "and by the way, you look really good tonight." his eyes scan my body. oh no. i didn't mean to lead him on. he's cute and sweet and all, but i don't need a relationship right now. at least, not with him.

"brandon-" i start, but he cuts me off by kissing me. not gently, but by smashing his lips against mine. he pins me against the wall and almost immediately tries to take my dress off. he succeeds, and i don't know why, but i don't stop him. when he kisses me again, i try to shove him off with no success. shit, i know i have to cut this off before it goes too far. i'm about to kick him where it hurts when i hear the door open.

"kenzie?" i hear a shocked voice say. oh no.

it's johnny.

an/ short chapter. i kinda hate this book oops.
i'm thinking about a book where john and lauren meet kenz at camp? lol idkkk would any of u read that?
-ria