eight

laurens pov

"sooooo john." i tap my fingers against the car seat as the uber drives us home from kenzie's. "how was your time with kenzie?"

"how was your time with kenzie?" he fires back, his face flushing. how cute. my brother, a known fuckboy (sorry not sorry), has maybe feelings for my best friend!

i tease him about it for a bit longer, and then our conversation drifts. school, sports, friends, family, our upcoming photo shoot. it's nice to have a brother i actually like. it's easy to forget how lucky i am, but i really do love his lame ass.

"get out." john grumbles. apparently i'm taking too long to exit the uber. whatever, johnny.

"i am!" i sigh, and crawl out, with john right behind me.

we walk to the restaurant in our hotel and quickly order some dinner. johnny gets pizza, which personally, i feel tastes disgusting. i don't know how he likes it.

"yeah, well, you ordered salad!" he accuses when i point out how gross pizza is.

"it's healthy!" i protests to him and he shakes his head.

"it's gross!" he laughs.

"oh, shut up." i groan.

we eat somewhat peacefully, and head up to our hotel room and chill for a while. after an hour or so, johnny heads out with some of his friends, and im all alone. i watch TV for a while, read, scroll through instagram lazily and facetime some friends, and then run myself a hot bath- my favorite way to relax.

after soaking in the hot water for a while, i decide that my fingers are getting too pruny and climb out. once i've changed, i hear john enter the room. its nearly midnight, i don't know what he was doing out so late. he comes into the bathroom, all changed into his nightclothes, as am i, and brushes his teeth alongside me in silence.

"hey, laur?" he asks as i spit out my toothpaste.

"yes john?" i eye him warily in the mirror.

"if i tell you a secret, will you tell anyone?"

"of course not." i say honestly.

"i like mackenzie." he mumbles before racing out of the bathroom and climbing into his bed.

"john, what?" i scream, running after him. i sit on his bed and pry at him, hoping for more details, but he ignores me and eventually i give up and hop into my own bed.

"night, laur." he says, since now he's apparently speaking to me.

"john?"

"yeah?"

"how long?"

"since we were like 8." my eyes widen. wow. i've never known he was that committed.

"how serious?"

he hesitates. "i think i'm in love with her."

"holy shit, johnny."

"i know. you won't tell?" he rolls over on his bed and looks at me. our beds are a couple feet apart but i can read the expression in his green eyes clearly: affection and fear. a terrible combination. i take pity on him, and he is my brother, after all, so if it's a secret, it stays a secret.

"i won't." i debate on telling him that kenzie likes him, and then decide not to. it's not my news to tell. when the time comes, it will come.

we're leaving soon, anyway. maybe it's for the best.

an// HOLY FUCK SKSKSK THEYRE SO CLOSE TO DATING WHAT. and this is hella short, sorry i haven't updated! i'm currently in the middle of moving (really far away) but thanks for all the votes, i really appreciate it!!! <3
-ria