four and a half

kenzie's pov

fruit, vegetables, dairy. check, check, check. now time for my favorite part- snacks. i grin to myself, like a weirdo, and head over to the snack section.

grabbing popcorn, potato chips, and cheetos, i spot my favorite- cool ranch doritos! smiling, i head over to the rack. a boy about my age is standing in front of the rack, so i glance down at my phone quickly. all of a sudden, the boy turns around and knocks over my basket.

"shit, sorry." he says. at least i think that's what he said. he was mumbling, and he's really quiet.

he and i bend down and pick up my groceries. when he puts the last one in im about to thank him when i see his face for the first time. he looks up for the first time as well, and we make eye contact.

oh my god oh my god oh my god.

"i, um." he stutters, staring at me. i have a huge ass smile, and my heart is racing out of control. i've missed him, a lot. my mom wouldn't let me contact him after she found out... but whatever, he's here now, and i couldn't be happier.

"holy fuck." he says, a small smile on his lips. "hi."

"hi? that's all for your long term best friend?" i giggle, bumping his shoulder lightly.

"not that long term." he says under his breath, referring to the years i went with no contact. my breath catches, and i change the topic quickly.

"how is stuff? like what's new?" he tells me about his new career. music. wow. i would've never guessed. i mean, yeah, he loved guitar and all, and the way he had a passion for it was really cute and stuff, but i never knew how serious he was about it! wow, what a surprise. a good one, for sure. i'm proud of him.

when he stops talking, i fill the silence. "johnny orlando." i grin, saying it just for the sake of it, as in yes, he's here, finally. my johnny. here!

then i process everything that's different about him. same old expression, but more mature looking. his hair is darker, and shorter. his eyes, holy shit, ive never seen them look greener. and his body looks different, too. more muscular. nothing like the scrawny johnny i left behind in toronto. "you look different. have you been working out?" i tease, but he obviously had.

"a little." he says, and i can't shake why he looks so gloomy. but now his green eyes are sparkling more, and i wonder if it has to do with me. "so do you."

his gaze drifts away from me, and he zones out. weird. "john?" i ask with concern.

"sorry." he says, and he looks down again, his voice muffled.

"come on, that's all? i'm so happy to see you!" i squeal, and i watch the shadow of a smile dance around his face. what happened to him? impulsively, i pulled him into a hug. he sort of hugged back, and that made me smile again.

"so how are you? how's lauren?" i asked as we broke the hug.

"lauren, oh my god. she's gonna flip her shit." he laughed for the first time, and he pulled out his phone and facetimed her.

we facetimed lauren, and i was beyond happy to see my other best friend. i wish my mom would've let me stay in touch with her, but she thought that might lead to contact with johnny. whatever.

we caught up on each other's lives, then we made plans for them to sleepover at my house, and i couldn't help it, i kept touching him. brushing my fingers against his, hugging him, touching his arm, his shoulder. just as a reassurance that he's real, and he's here. we exchanged phone numbers, and he gave me lauren's, and i texted them my address. they would come over in three hours- i could hardly wait.

i had a smile on my face as i left the grocery store, and nothing could shake it.

an// leave constructive criticism pleaseee! esp if you've been on wattpad and/or consider yourself an experienced writer bc i need some advice, this is my first ever story! would be really appreciated :)
-ria <3