A Great Big Weasley Christmas

The Burrow was more of a home to Harry than the Dursley's had ever been. It's whimsical quirks never failed to make Harry smile, no matter his mood. The sweet smell of gingerbread enticed Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny to the kitchen where Mrs Weasley was waving her wand around the cozy kitchen, silently casting an array of household spells.

"Oh, you're here!" She beamed and extended her arms to pull the four of them into her arms. "It's so nice that you can apparate now, makes my life a lot easier."

"I'm so happy you've let us stay for the holidays again," said Hermione. Harry couldn't help but remember how she had made her own parents forget she existed and sent them to the other side of the globe. Unlike him, she had no other option of where to spend her Christmas break.

"Oh, you know you're welcome anytime, dears," she cupped Harry's face with one hand and Hermione's with the other. "Go on, take your things upstairs now."

Harry headed towards Ron's room with his duffel bag over his shoulder. It was second nature to him, he could probably find his best friend's room with his eyes closed. Hermione followed Ginny to her room leaving Harry and Ron alone in the room.

"I think this is the first time I've breathed since we went back to Hogwarts," Ron laughed as he threw himself on his bed, burying his face in the sheets. Harry sat down on his camp bed and inhaled deeply before exhaling. He closed his eyes. The noise in his head paused too. He felt calm and at peace. He really was home.

+ + +

"Harry dear, would you like seconds?" Molly Weasley asked as she flicked her wand, raising the rectangular glass dish, half filled with lasagne off the table.

"No, I couldn't," Harry chuckled, placing a hand on his stomach. He wasn't lying, he loved Molly's lasagne but his stomach was still getting used to a healthy amount of food.

"Nonsense, have some more!" A large serving of the meal neatly carried itself to Harry's plate without a drop of sauce hitting the wooden table. Harry sighed. This confirmed that McGonagall had written to Molly about his, problem. Harry reluctantly picked up his fork. He knew he had to make an attempt, even though his stomach was protesting at the idea because Mrs Weasley would only push the matter further.

He managed three forkfuls before sitting back in his chair and looking around at the table. The entire Weasley family had come home for Christmas. Ron sat to Harry's left, wolfing down his second helping of lasagne, and Percy sat to Harry's right who was making quiet conversation with his new girlfriend whose name was Audrey. Even Charlie had returned from Romania to celebrate the holidays at the Burrow. Bill and Fleur sat near the head of the table with Mr Weasley discussing something Ministry related Harry assumed, while at the other end of the table George and Mrs Weasley were arguing about something almost definitely Wizard Wheezes related.

The chatter was comforting. The warmth of the crackling fireplace and his full belly only added to the comforting atmosphere. He felt safe.

Harry forgot about school, he forgot about Draco, he forgot about the war, he forgot about his exams and he forgot about the whispers in his mind. The Weasleys were the family he never had.

+ + +

"Who are you writing to?" Ron asked. Harry turned from Ron's wooden desk to face his friend who had just returned from a shower, his green pyjamas a little damp around the collar. The sun had set and all occupants of the house were readying for bed. Even Pigwidegeon had tucked himself away in the corner of his cage.

"Oh, just," Harry hesitated. "Malfoy."

Ron stared blankly back at him for a few seconds before squinting as if he had only just understood the words that came from Harry's mouth.