Payback, Potter

As embarrassing as it was for Harry to be forced to eat out of a box picked my McGonagall for every meal, everyone around him could see that was working.

Harry had a full belly as he made his way to McGonagall's office on a quite warm, Friday morning.

"Come In," McGonagall called in response to Harry's knocking at her office door.

Harry smiled in acknowledgment of her as he entered the room, closing the door behind himself. He took a seat in front of her desk and helped himself to a custard cream from her tin.

"You seem uncharacteristically chipper this morning," McGonagall notes. "Would it be offensive of me to assume that you are up to something?"

"No, no," Harry assured. "Not up to anything. I've had an alright week."

Harry, of course, was referring to the moment that happened five days and twenty-two hours ago, not that he was counting. Unfortunately, as their N.E.W.Ts drew ever closer, he and Draco had not had many chances to talk since the kiss in the Shrieking Shack. Even in potions, Slughorn decided that in preparation for their exams that they should brew their concoctions individually. Their interactions over the past week had been limited to small smiles as they passed each other in hallways and in the dorm room as they prepared for bed.

"Just because we teachers do not sit amongst you during meals or engage in your gossip, does not mean that we do not hear things. I would like to address the matter or a rumour that has unfortunately gained my attention regarding yourself and Mr Malfoy. Has this at all affected you?"

"Oh;" Harry snickered. "That is kind of old news now. But no, Malfoy and I had a discussion about it and came to the conclusion that some people exist to cause trouble."

"A very mature response, Potter. I think Miss Granger has finally rubbed off on you, it's only taken eight years." McGonagall smiles.

"And the matter of the Quidditch game this Sunday," McGonagall began. Harry clenched his fists in his lap in anticipation. "I'm going to allow you to play."

Harry sighed in relief.

"I believe you are really trying to improve yourself," McGonagall smiles. "You did not deserve the childhood you received, at least we can try to make your adulthood as boring as possible."

Harry laughed. "Thank you."

"Could I ask when you and Mr Malfoy plan to have your next potions tutoring session?"

"He left me a note this morning actually," Harry remembered. "Today in our free period."

"I'm glad to see your grades are beginning to resemble those of your sixth year, I know you can put in that little extra effort, however."

"Thank you," Harry chuckled under his breath knowing that no matter how hard Draco pushed him in their tutorials, he could never be the Half Blood Prince.

"Now, I won't keep you any longer from Professor Mellow, I'll see you at the match, Potter."

+ + +

Harry had never been more anxious for his potions tutorial to start. He walked briskly down the halls, holding onto the strap on his bag with one hand against his chest.

The library contained many sixth, seventh and eighth-year students making the most of a free period. Harry made his way to their previously decided upon table. It was in a section of the library that was mostly empty, in amongst the Advanced Alchemy books.

He sat down and didn't bother taking out his potions work, straightening his tie and running his fingers through his hair pedantically.

What are you even going to say when he gets here?