The Remembrance Ball pt. 1

The second of May, 1999, one of the warmest days in the year so far. The eighth years had unanimously decided that the day would be set aside from studying for many reasons not including the heat. Some were discussing their hair, outfit and make-up for the ball this evening while many had chosen to sit alone, reflecting on events that transpired on that day only a year ago.

Harry, unsurprisingly, was was one of these people. He woke late and remained in bed, feigning sleep until he could no longer hear anyone else in the dorm. That's when he got up and saw the plate of food someone had brought up from the kitchens for him on his bedside table. He was grateful, he didn't feel like talking to anyone until he had to.

He had one of the worst nightmares of the last few months that night. Even after the amazing afternoon, he had with Draco, once he fell into unconsciousness, his mind was plagued with memories of the war as it was every night.

Harry dragged himself to the ensuite bathroom, forcing himself not to think about the gruesome images that his brain had conjured. He saw himself in the mirror and sighed at his complexion. He pushed his hair back off his forehead and peered at the thin lightning bolt scar as if he was expecting it to be different. It had not pained him in exactly a year but he couldn't help but trace a finger down the mark.

He decided to shower. The lock of the door echoed through the tile room. He threw his pyjamas and towel into a pile on the shelf and stood under the water, letting it trickle down his body soothingly. HIs soaked hair fell in his eyes so he let his head fall back so the water was hitting his face.

He held his breath, his eyes closed tight as the hot water hit his face. He wasn't sure what he was trying to achieve. Perhaps on some unconscious level, he was trying to clean away the pain of his past.

He soon realised that he had neglected to bring a clean set of clothes so once he had dried himself he just got back into the same pyjamas he had slept in.

He debated brushing his hair but he knew he'd only have to redo later. He did brush his teeth, however, gazing into his own sad eyes in the mirror as he did so.

He returned to his bed and picked at the breakfast he had been left as he gazed out the open window.

He heard the door to the dorm open but he didn't turn to look. He ate the last bit of toast as he felt his mattress dip a foot or two away from him.

The presence didn't speak, that was fine by Harry, he wasn't in the mood to speak. The silence continued and Harry could eliminate the suspects in his mind. Ron and Neville could not stand silence for this long, Terry was not the sentimental type and Justin and Ernie were likely to be making out somewhere.

That left Draco. Now, he made sense. Harry had an inkling that Draco would understand his current condition. It was on this day, or perhaps early tomorrow, the Draco's life had changed forever.

Harry reached his hand behind him, running it across the fabric of the sheets. The hand of the intruder covered his and they continued their mournful silence.

The comfort of the simple touch was enough for Harry to slowly turn his head to Malfoy who did the same.

An image worthy of a feature role in one of Harry's nightmares. Draco Malfoy's perfectly sculpted face with bloodshot eyes and tear marks on his cheeks.

"Draco," Harry whispered, lifting his hand up to his boyfriend's face but he only turned his head.

"I liked it better when you weren't talking," he whispered back. Harry lowered his hand and let it rest on the bed.

"I'm so sorry," Harry looked down at the floor.

"What are you sorry about?" Draco asked in a choked sort of whisper. "Not everything is about you."