A Chat with Justin Finch-Fletchley

In the week since the announcement of the Remembrance Ball, Hogwarts was filled with excitement. Rumours were spreading about who the guests of honour would be. Some speculated that the presidents of Magical communities across the globe would be in attendance while some were convinced that McGonagall was inviting magical celebrities to the castle.

It took Ron all of one day, with Ginny's help, to ask Hermione to accompany him to the ball to which she, of course, said yes. Harry couldn't help but glance over to Draco on the other side of the common room as they were celebrating.

Harry tried to keep his head down. He tried not to think about it too much but that was quite hard when it was all anyone wanted to talk about. People were asking for dates to the ball, Harry had even gotten a few himself which he declined every time. If he was going to be forced to go, he would be there only when necessary.

Harry sat at the Gryffindor table and looked around for that all too familiar box. Ron sat beside him and grabbed a bowl and began to ladle some soup from one of the large bowls in the middle of the table.

Harry turned his head left and right, he was still unable to see his box. Slowly and discretely, he reached for one of the silver bowls and picked up a ladle. He dipped it into some chicken and pea soup and poured it into his bowl. To his surprise, it didn't disappear.

"Oh, that's marvellous!" Hermione exclaims from across the table. Harry looked up at the staff table where he spotted Professor McGonagall in the middle, smiling at him kindly.

"Well, at least now you don't look like a twig," Ron smiled, holding a bread roll in his hand. Harry grabbed one from the basket and tapped his to Ron's in a toast.

"Harry?" Hermione tapped her bowl nervously before looking behind her in the direction of the other tables. "Why don't you ask Malfoy to come sit with us during meals? He's just so alone over there and I'm sure McGonagall wouldn't mind, we are eighth years."

"Can I not have a moment of escape from that blonde twit?" Ron groaned dramatically.

"I'm not sure it would be such a good idea," Harry looked down along the Gryffindor table. "And I'm sure he'd agree."

"Well then, at least invite him to study with us after later," Hermione suggested. "If you are pursuing any kind of relationship with him, Ron and I need to get to know him as well."

"Pursuing a relationship?" Harry frowned. "We're, friends."

"Friends who kissed and are totally gay for each other!" Ron whispered aggressively.

"Harry, come with me. Ron, you stay here. Harry needs to help me with something," Hermione stood up from the table and motioned for Harry to do the same.

"I know you're going to go talk about feelings," Ron grumbled. "You know, I'd like to be included."

"Ron, I love you, but, you have the emotional capabilities of a lump of Gillyweed," Hermione made eye contact with Harry and nodded to the doorway.

Harry laughed and patted his friend on the shoulder. "We'll see you in the common room."

He and Hermione walked on either side of the Gryffindor table till they met at the end. Hermione grabbed Harry's arm and dragged him out into the corridor and in the direction of the Eighth year wing.

"So Harry," said Hermione, finally letting go of his arm. "Without all the prying ears, without Ron, I'd like you to be honest with me. What is going on with you and Malfoy?"

"I-"

"Wait," Hermione folded her arms. "I bet the two of you haven't even talked about it. Ugh, I hate boys!"