Ch. 8

Hermione's POV

"Why are they here?"

Pansy glared at Ginny and I while Draco moved to stand slightly in front of us, his hands planting themselves firmly in his pockets while he tried to catch her attention. "Give me a little bit to explain. By the way, you look absolutely gorgeous today."

And she did. As much as I didn't like her, I couldn't deny that her style was fantastic. Her dark hair was long and straight, parted slightly to the side. Wearing a black pencil skirt and a grey blouse tucked into it, I knew she prided herself still in her appearance. Her outfit was accented by a bright blue belt around her waist that was perfectly hiding where her blouse was tucked in, and everything was finished by a pair of black stilettos that came to a point.

Rolling her eyes at the comment, she nodded her head at Ginny and I and said to Draco, "You better start explaining then. No amount of compliments is going to distract me."

"Well, Hermione is being treated to a late birthday shopping trip by Ginny, and due to the circumstances that have come up recently, I wanted to help," Draco said simply. "And who better to go to for fashion than you?"

I shot a thankful smile to the back of his head, which he must have felt because he turned and winked at me over his shoulder before looking back at Pansy, who had an eyebrow raised. She shot another glance at me before asking, "What do you mean, circumstances?"

Then her eyes widened and she shrieked, pointing at Ginny's head. "What in the name of Merlin is on your head?!"

Ginny groaned. "My brother tested one of his new joke shop products on me."

"You're just now noticing them?" Draco asked, looking at Ginny.

"I think they were flat on my head until a few seconds ago," Ginny said, reaching up to feel the ears. "Apparently they react just like a cat's would since I heard someone drop something in the hallway."

Pansy stared at her with wide eyes, not looking away for a second. "They just popped up!"

"They've been there, Parkinson," Ginny rolled her eyes.

Pansy smirked suddenly and held up her hand to show off a large, sparkly diamond. "Actually, it's Zabini now."

"Oh, congratulations!" Ginny said in a surprised tone.

I didn't realize I was subconsciously feeling around for my own ring until Draco reached out and touched my arm, giving me a concerned look. I stopped fidgeting and gave him a smile.

"So," Pansy said, moving from behind her desk to lean against it and crossing her arms against her chest. "What are these circumstances you are referring to, Draco? And what does it have to do with these two?"

"Well really it's just to do with Hermione," Draco said, looking away from me and back at her. "She's newly single and needs a wardrobe update."

I scowled at him. "I don't need one."

"The past two times I've seen you, you've worn a large sweater with skinny jeans and boots," He said in a matter-of-fact voice. "Ginny's right; you need more variety."

"Newly single?" Pansy interrupted curiously. "I thought you were with her brother?"

"I was until very recently," I answered.

"Do you not get the Prophet, Pans?" Draco asked, looking around her office. "Her relationship has been the headline for the past two days."

She laughed. "I no longer subscribe to that bloody paper, not since they published that awful article after Blaise and I announced the engagement that insinuated I was only with him for the money."