Ch. 36

Hermione's POV

I couldn't stop staring at the ring as we were lying in bed next to each other, coming down from an intense love-making session. I sighed and looked at him as he rolled over onto his side, propping himself up on one elbow and grinning at me.

"Do you like it?" He asked, nodding towards the ring.

"It's absolutely stunning, Draco!" I exclaimed, glancing back at it and straightening it out for the hundredth time. "I love it so much, almost as much as I love you!"

His grin widened and he leaned forward to give me a quick kiss. I looked back at the ring again while asking in confusion, "How long have you had this? We've only been together for a few months!"

"Hermione, I'm not going to lie..." He shifted slightly and his grin faltered. "I've honestly had that since our last year at Hogwarts."

I stared at him. "Are...are you serious?"

He nodded. "Do you remember that Christmas?"

It took me a few moments but then the memory came back to me.

"Hermione?" He looked at me in surprise from the couch. "Why are you here?"

I shrugged. "It's Christmas."

He blinked. "But...weren't you going to go look for your parents over the break?"

I shrugged again and smiled, pulling out the few presents I was hiding behind my back. "They are currently travelling to other places for the holidays, so I thought it would be better to spend my time here and wait for them to finish. Besides, I have some essays and lots of studying to do."

He looked down at the presents and then back up at me, gaping at me. "I...Hermione, I didn't get you anything."

"That's okay!" I laughed as I went to the couch and sat next to him, putting the gifts between us. "You don't have to open them right now, but I wanted to get you something. I know it's probably nothing compared to what you are used to but since we're closer now, I figured I could at least get you something."

"That doesn't make me feel any less bad about not getting you anything," He said, shaking his head.

"Well, if you feel that bad, just get me something in time for New Year's!" I said with a grin.

He smiled at me then, reaching for one of the gifts. I waited excitedly as he slowly unwrapped the paper, bouncing up and down slightly. He chuckled at me before finally pulling the wrapping paper away and looking at the book.

"'The Business Sense: A Complete Guide to Running Your Own Company'," He read off, giving me a confused look.

I gestured towards him as I explained, "You said you're wanting to take over the family business, and I thought this could help you get ready for what to expect. I know it's a muggle book, but..."

He stared back down at the book, flipping it over to look at the back inscription. I waited quietly for a few moments, anxiety taking over more the longer he took to read. His expression was unreadable, but I could see his jaw clenching every so often and I immediately started to regret my decision.

Looking down at my hands, I took a nervous breath and said, "I know it's kind of odd, and if you'd rather have something else I can return it and find one that was written by a-"

"It's perfect!"

I looked up to see him smiling at me warmly. "Hermione, this is one of the most thoughtful things anyone has given me! I can't even begin to tell you how grateful I am for this; you know I don't know anything about running a business."