Ch. 16

Hermione's POV

The rest of our date went by easily; I was very relaxed and comfortable with him, and couldn't help but notice that conversations between us came easier than conversations with Ron. Ron would always try to direct the conversation towards himself and what he wanted to talk about. Draco was genuinely interested in hearing what I had to say and what I was interested in, and I was just as interested in his side of the conversations. Thankfully he had more to talk about than just quidditch and the latest news on Death Eaters. I learned a lot more about his business and what plans he had for the future of his company, which included purchasing a few vineyards in America as well as contributing to Hogwarts and the other wizarding schools around the world.

There was a small, comfortable lull in conversation, and then he smiled at me. "Thank you for accompanying me to dinner."

I smiled in return. "Thank you for inviting me, I've had a wonderful time."

"You know," He rubbed the back of his neck, "It's not that late. We could always go for a walk if you'd like?"

"I would really like that," I nodded. "Where were you thinking?"

"What about Hyde Park?" He offered.

"That sounds perfect, I haven't been there in a while."

Soon enough, we walked out of the restaurant and he offered his arm to me again, disapparating us away. We landed behind a large tree and thankfully out of sight from any muggles that could have seen us, stepping out and onto the pathway. I still had my arm in his and I noticed that he was subtly pulling me closer until I was right up against him, which I didn't really mind. Especially considering that I was starting to get cold and he was warm.

"Here," He said quietly, releasing my arm and pulling off his coat before wrapping it around my shoulders.

I grinned at him as I pulled his coat on fully. "Are you a Legilimens now?"

"No, but I could feel you shivering," He replied, smiling as he pulled me back to him.

I leaned my head against his shoulder as we continued walking. "Aren't you going to get cold?"

He shrugged. "I'm naturally a fairly warm person. Plus I don't plan on keeping you out too late so I should be fine for our walk."

We continued to slowly walk in silence, and then I heard him chuckle quietly. I looked up at him and asked, "What's so funny?"

"Just remembering the last time we took a walk together," He answered quietly. "That night you found me by the Black Lake."

"Oh yeah," I said as I turned to look forward again. "After rounds. I was wondering where you had gone off to."

"I just wanted some time to think," He said.

"I'm sorry I interrupted your thinking that night," I said playfully.

He smiled at me. "It's not a problem. You being there actually kind of helped me make my decision that night."

"What decision was that?" I asked curiously.

He grew oddly quiet then and he didn't answer for a few moments. I was suddenly aware of just how quiet it was in the park, my heels making almost the only sound other than the fountains and random birds. I looked up at him and saw a serious look in place of his smile, and that worried me slightly.

"Draco?"

He then stopped walking, taking a deep breath as he looked out at one of the fountains. "Remember how close we were back then?"