Ch. 24

Draco's POV

I decided to stop and get some food for us before going back to Hermione's apartment. I figured some pizza might cheer her up since she seemed to love it so much, and found the place that had delivered it to us before when we moved her into the apartment.

As I was waiting for them to complete the order, I sent a text to Hermione letting her know why I was going to be a little late and then sat silently in the corner of the restaurant as I waited. Harry's words came back to me about considering she and I to be together already, and I was still stunned by this.

Hermione and I hadn't really talked about what we were yet. I didn't want to push it because I knew she was still somewhat recovering from the breakup, but at the same time she lately seemed to have been perfectly fine with how we were progressing. I knew this wasn't just a rebound. But I still had no idea exactly what we were. Hermione always told people we were seeing each other, which was true, I guess. Plus, the thought of asking her to be my girlfriend just seemed rather juvenile and awkward. Something about the entire process made me feel like it was something that should have been done in school, instead of when we were in our twenties. But that was probably just my feelings on it.

Of course, I would have really liked to make things official between us finally. But apart from the awkward clunkiness that I felt about the idea of asking her to be my girlfriend, there wasn't really a way to become official otherwise. The next step after that would be engagement, and that was certainly out of the question for now.

I sat up, realizing what I had just thought. For now? I hadn't really thought about marriage with anyone else. Though I hadn't really seen any girls after leaving Hogwarts because none of them were up to my standards and I just wasn't interested in relationships. But it's different with Hermione; everything just feels so...right. Like I'm finally where I'm supposed to be in life.

Two pizza boxes were set on the table in front of me and I paid, fumbling a bit with the money. I was still having some issues getting used to muggle money but was trying to learn so that Hermione wouldn't have to buy everything when we go out to muggle places. I smiled at the thought of how much I had changed myself for her as I walked out and rounded the corner to go into the alley and apparate.

I landed in her apartment, still smiling as I set the pizza boxes down and looked around. The smile disappeared though as I realized she wasn't anywhere to be found.

"Hermione?" I called out, looking around.

There were a few moments of silence that made my heart jump, but then I heard the call back, "I'm here!"

I sighed and went back towards the right where I heard her voice coming from, looking into the rooms. She wasn't in the bedroom or the study, and I started to worry a bit.

"Where are you?" I asked, taking another look into the bedroom.

"I'm, uh..." She trailed off and then stuck her head out of the bathroom door in her bedroom. "I'm in here."

I smiled, noticing that she had a bit of a worried look on her face. "Everything alright?"

She nodded but bit her lip nervously. "I'm just...having some difficulties putting the salve on my back."

I stared at her, realizing now why it was only her head that was in view. She blinked at me and we just looked at each other quietly for a few moments before I swallowed the sudden lump in my throat and asked, "Do you...do you need help?"

After a few moments, she nodded and disappeared back into the bathroom. I stood there for another few seconds before forcing myself to walk forward towards the bathroom door, hesitating before entering it.